Do lawyers need a "mission statement"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I got this year's CA bar card in the mail. Emblazoned on it (and in the accompanying literature) is a new item:

Mission Statement Preserve and protect our justice system in order to assure a free and just society under law.

I thought mission statements were for start-up tech companies trying to get coverage in Dilbert. Have any of you seen mission statements cropping up in more traditional lines of work or in the professions?

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

That sounds like an ill-conceived, if not idiotic mission statement.

It's like saying an auto shop's mission statement should be, "Preserve and protect our auto repair profession to assure smooth-running cars."

To me, it sounds more like an attempt to justify and continue the sorry state of our existing legal system. It should have stated something like, "To preserve and protect the rights of citizens in order to have a free society..."

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Have any of you seen mission statements cropping up in more traditional lines of work or in the professions?

Sports agents? [​IMG]

4. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    A mission statement is just a clarification of purpose, and could (should?) be used in all sorts of ways. You could have a personal mission statement that helps you to clarify your principles and goals in life, your family could have a mission statement, and different levels of your organization could have one.

For more information, pick up any of Steven R. Covey's books.

But to answer your question, it is entirely appropriate for the CA Bar Association to have a mission statement. The thing is, a misson statement is for the people it applies to; it should be easy to understand, and motivate them in the direction you wish to go. It isn't to impress others. For a Bar association, I think the goals stated are entirely appropriate.

5. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Lawyers with Missions statements was covered in the excellent documentry "The Firm"

BILLABLE HOURS!!!!!![​IMG]

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, the State Bar of Wisconsin just came up with an utterly asinine mission statement (more or less, I don't have it in front of me): "Expert advisors. Serving You." Not only is it stupid, it implies that attorneys cannot construct proper sentences. [​IMG] Thanks a lot.

7. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Thankfully, neither Virginia's nor DC's bar cards have a mission statement on them. Lawyers and doctors are the last two really self-governing professions, and I find offensive the idea of having a mission statement attached to my practice.
    -Erik

8. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron