What's new

Do inexpensive HDMI to VGA adapters work? (1 Viewer)

ghadden

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry Hadden
Hi y'all. Mine doesn't. I'm running the adapter out of my cable TV HDMI slot and into a VGA cable connected to my Hitachi projector. All I get is a red screen when I turn it on. Weirdly, if I do a reset on the cable box I can see the images as its telling me its resetting. Then at the point where the programming should come back on, boom, to red. As if the cable box were blocking the signal somehow.

Any thoughts appreciated.

ghadden

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry Hadden
It does in fact have a DVI-D slot. Since I have a long VGA cable already installed and crossing half the house, I wonder if I can add a VGA to DVI adapter. That said, then I'd be running HDMI-VGA out of the cable box, and VGA-DVI-D into the projector. Seems a rather clunky way to get the image. Maybe I need to just change the cable to HDMI, cutting out the analogue bridge. I have read however that HDMI cables lose quality after more than 15 feet though...

ghadden

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry Hadden
Or, I can just try the Tendak, as you suggest Raymond. It's only 13 bucks. But I wonder why some adapter/converters work while others don't. They all claim to do the same thing.

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
Some adaptors are powered by HDMI and some are not the tendak is powered by the HDMI signal, i think the same adaptor goes under multiple brands i have seen some more advaned set top box like adaptors that have RCA audio outputs, and even HDMI audio extractors that output Analog audio and digital coax and SPDIF audio.

ghadden

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry Hadden
Thanks Raymond. I ran today and picked up a good quality 10m HDMI cable, and the HDMI-DVI-D adapter. If that doesn't work I'll snag the Tendak online!

ghadden

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry Hadden
A 10m HDMI cable with a cheap DVI-D adapter works beautifully. Running the audio directly out of the cable box into my sound system. Thanks all! And just in time for the Arsenal-Barca match Tuesday!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks