Do I want DVD-A or SACD?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dwight Amato, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I have to be upfront, I have not followed the DVD-A vs SACD battle at all. In fact, I do not even have a receiver with a 5.1 input so I won't even be able to listen to this new sound field.

But I am at a point that I am looking at getting a new DVD player. It must be 5 disc as well as progressive scan, so I figured I might as well add this other capability to save me some money in the future. I'd love to get a player that does both, but I'm looking to spend less then $200, even lower if possible...

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Dwight,

I don't think there's such a beast at this moment (5-disc DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD changer) - for under $200 you might have to stick to a single disc, and at that price point it sounds like the Pioneer 563A can't be beat if you want all formats.

3. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Get a Uni-Player. There are software advantages to both formats.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Get the Pioneer, then you don't have to make a choice.

There is also supposedly a cheap Zenith universal player coming, but I haven't heard any news about a release date.

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Just be mentally prepared for the low-end PQ from the Pioneer. I own one, and I hate it for DVD-Video playback.

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Hmmmm... my opinion is different on the 563'2 picture quality. For me (32" interlaced) and for my buddy (36" progressive), the 563 has a good picture. Maybe not up with the best but certainly more than up to it's asking price...

7. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I'm just comparing my 563 to my Pana RP-56. Using 46" 16:9 TV, though. I wish my Pana RP-56 is not dying.