Do I want berber carpet? AND Do I carpet under the stage and riser?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Ferry, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    I was just walking through Lowe's looking for shelves (for the HT equipment - that problem will probably show up in a different post), when I saw a 15' x 26' berber marked down to about $150. Since I am "frugal", 38 cents a sq ft certainly appeals to me.

Not sure how to phrase this, but will my basement HT feel like a home theater if I use a berber instead of a pattern carpet?

Also, I built the stage and riser without attaching them to the floor. Do I want to carpet under them so I have the flexibility to move them around, or do I commit to leaving them where they belong?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Personally, I don't like the look of berber carpets. Even the new stuff looks like it's worn. Also, if there's any variation in your baseboard moldings (e.g. some warped wood) you will clearly see it as the berber has such a low pile to it.

But, you've found it for a great price. That alone might be reason enough for you to live with some of the shortcomings of it.

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Carpet is a matter of personal taste and style and I have neither. Regardless of what kind of carpet you get I wouldn't put it under the stage and riser.

I don't think anyone will say that it doesn't feel like a theater with out patterned carpet. As soon as the lights go down and the movie starts, no one will remember what's on the floor.

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    Well, if I want people to remember the floor AND make them feel like they're in their local cineplex, I could spill soda and popcorn all over the floor...

5. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I have a berber in my theater. I wasn't necessarily planning on it, but I really like the look. (It helps to get a high-quality berber.)

Regarding the riser/stage. Acoustially, they should be anchored to the floor. (My riser weighs nearly 3000 lbs so it isn't moving anywhere anyway!) Then, I'd recommend carpeting over the riser and stage. BTW - anchoring the stage is critically important if you sub is on the stage. Otherwise it will definitely negatively affect the sound.

-greg

6. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    Thanks. I think I'll take your advice and anchor the stage and riser.

Guess my next problem is going to be learning how to carpet the curved step to the stage.

7. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Kevin Stewart
    I'm planning on building a riser in my HT room. The room is already carpeted, and I will be building this riser in order to elevate my second level of seating (obviously). Can't I just build the riser over the carpet that's currently there and then put carpeting on it? The riser will extend right up to the walls on three sides (I was going to remove the baseboards on these walls, so it was snug), and it will have plenty of cross-braces, so I don't think it will be going anywhere. What's the disadvantage of building it on top of carpeting?

Stew

8. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Kevin-- That's what I'm doing, too. I really see no problems in building on top of the carpet, as long as (like you've said) it is well-braced and doesn't reverberate (too much). I'd still be interested though to hear if someone has a theory on why this is not a good idea (acoustically)....

I think the only problem to really be concerned with is the future damage to the carpet. I used to have a waterbed with a riser-type platform under it. Whenever I disassembled the waterbed, the carpet would be severely crushed. I tried to loosen up the fibers back into shape, but it's virtually impossible to completely fix it. So, if you ever plan on moving it or removing it completely, the carpet will show the wear....

9. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    I may carpet under the riser but not the stage, mainly because I have an unusual set up. I have an open area behind the stage (due to an angled fireplace) and if the riser is not fully anchored down it could be easily moved behind the stage to create a large stage for live music.

Not sure I explained that too well. My front "wall" will consist of an archway above the stage, velvet curtains and a removable DIY screen. The curtains can then be opened if for some reason we want to look at the fireplace behind the stage instead of the video screen. The area beside the fireplace is large enough for the 4'x8' riser if I want to remove the theater seats and move it.

Frankly, I don't expect to do either the fireplace viewing or the live music set-up, but it helped sell the theater concept and obtain the critical WAF.

10. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart

I've thought about this, but it seems better than the alternative. If I remove the carpet from underneath where the riser will go, and then decide to remove the riser at any point, I'd be left with a room that is 3/4 carpeted and 1/4 not.

Stew

11. David Masefield

David Masefield Auditioning

I plan to have a carpeted movable riser (in 3 sections) on top of the floor carpet. When it is movie nights the rear row will sit on to of riser (usual configuration). Then when it is a Karaoke night then off comes the rer seating and up to the front of the room goes the 3 piece riser to become a stage.

12. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

You are absolutely right. I had thought about this alternative later, after I had posted.... glad you pointed this out.

13. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    You could always save the carpet and have it put it back down if you move the riser. A carpet installer should be able to seam them back together if there isn't too much of a pattern to the carpet.

14. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    David, I never thought about how perfect my set-up will be for Karaoke.

I'm truly scared.

15. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart

Actually, if I decide to remove the carpet, I was thinking about just using it for the top of the riser and having the face of the riser be wide baseboard or wood trim or something similar. This way I won't have to buy any additional carpet. I just haven't decided which way to go yet.

Stew

16. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    Does anyone have any sources or links for detailed carpet installation instructions? I've found some general info, but nothing on the tricky stuff. I have a curved step in front of my stage, and not a clue how to carpet it.

17. David Masefield

David Masefield Auditioning

Jack, yes! home theatre and karaoke bar in one. Frightening eh! just don't tell your guests till after they arrive that Karaoke will be following tonights movie [​IMG]