What's new

Do I Still Need To Keep My Analog Masters? (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am looking for a consensus of opinion.

Through the course of thirty years, I have accumulated quite a lot of analog masters: reel-to-reel, cassette, 3/4 inch, half-inch, even audio carts. All of them have been transferred to digital and backed up numerous times. For example, my 3/4-inch masters, with a resolution of about 350, have all been mastered to 480 DVDs at SP. My point is, my analog masters are not compressed to other media, but transferred at the highest quality I could ever hope to achieve. I haven't touched any of the masters since the day I transcoded them. Some have been untouched for 25 years.

Yet I was taught, ALWAYS keep your masters. But sheesh, they are taking up most of my closet and I NEVER touch.

Is there any possible reason I would still need the analog masters, or can I safely chuck them?

Last edited:

Paul D G

Screenwriter
What Travis said. Something I was diligent in archiving digitally back in 1998 could be far below today's standards and technology.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd also be in favor of keeping the originals.

In the example of the VHS tapes that you had transferred to DVD - technically the DVD may be capable of more resolution than the original VHS tapes, but even at the highest quality, DVDs are still compressed - that's just the nature of the format. It may be possible to get a better capture of that VHS tape today than it was ten or twenty years ago. Not to mention that DVD-R recordings can degrade over time; the dye used in the discs could degrade, and you could end up with unplayable chunks or portions that skip. If you still have the original analog tape, you could always go back to it, but if all you had was a DVD copy that developed a skip, you're stuck.

I work at a news archive, and although we're trying to digitize everything for ease of access, we're holding on to the original tapes too - you just never know.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No prob! If there's anything else you want me to talk you into keeping, let me know - packrats gotta stick together :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you weren't already married, I'd say, "MARRY THAT WOMAN!" Anyone who encourages you to keep masters when they could tell you to declutter is someone worth keeping around :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The masters haven't been touched in 25 years: are they still intact and playable? That is, if you're storing garbage... But if they're still as good as 25 years ago, keep them if you like having them (and have the space) :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The masters haven't been touched in 25 years: are they still intact and playable? That is, if you're storing garbage... But if they're still as good as 25 years ago, keep them if you like having them (and have the space) :)
I must clarify. Every five or ten years I get out the 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch and run them in fast forward or reverse. I believe this keeps the tape from becoming brittle. As long as they pass this test, I assume they are playable. I have not PLAYED them in 25 years because I don't want to degrade them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks