Do I really want LOUD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I'm just wondering because sometimes I'm not sure if people are talking about how LOUD it is, or how GOOD and clear the sound is.

Right now, I have nothing. I mean, I have an 8 year old boom box hooked up to my tv because the TV's sound doesn't work anymore. It's one step up from nothing. But, I've been slowly saving up, and I really want something that lets me enjoy the movies without adjusting the volume and sound during the movie. I want to get something that I can be really happy with for a good value.

Anyway, I'm going to set up a home theater downstairs in the basement, but still my kids can hear it through the vents upstairs and this will mostly be for viewing after they are in bed. So, would there be any reason for me to pay attention to how loud it says it is? Or is "loud" completely unseperable from "quality". I definitely want to aim for immersion as much as possible.

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I don't completely understand what your question is, but if you not worried about being able to play at reference levels & feel bombs going off in your room like some of like to do, & are just more interested in a little sound reinforcement go with a decent little HTiB set up.
    Anymore there are several nice systems out there for around 300 to 1,000 bills & IMO if you have never had any type of surround set up before it a pretty good place to start.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Well, this is my personal preference, so feel free to disregard what I say. For me, loudness can add to the emotional impact of certain movies, such as Lord of the Rings and We Were Soldiers. For other movies, it isn't as necessary. And, again for me personally, a good rumble from a decent subwoofer magnifies the impact all the more.

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Dana, I agree that overall volume can add to the impact a great deal also. I also prefurr to watch a movie at pretty high levels as I notice alot more detail at higher levels that at a lower level.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

6. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

my, 2 cents, if you have a small basement, have the speakers close to you.

efficieny of speakers is measured 1 meter away using just 1 watt.
    if the speakers are just 2-3 meters away from your listening position and you can get near-ref levels from there [using around 10 - 30 watts per speaker], the sound shouldnt travel up thru the vents as much. maybe you could get magnetic vent covers for the basement just while you are watching movies

geno

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    "Loud" as in "too loud" is always undesirable. I may have a slightly different opinion than others, but I think you should hear a human voice about as loud as you would hear it if the speaker (the human, I mean) was there in your room in reality. Loud and clear, but certainly not louder than natural.
    That also doesn't mean "at reference level". This term is sooo often misunderstood. Reference level is a technical term, meaning a level at which to easily, and probably acurately, calibrate the audio system. It doesn't mean a "desirable" or "advised" level. Generally, it's too loud to comfortably listen to in a room.
    Further more: if you go and impair your hearing, you will eventually be able to hear less movies (and soon may have to set your daily level above the reference level [​IMG] ).
    Set your audio levels to your comfort. And, perhaps, yes, crank up the sub a little bit for the overall effects [​IMG].
    Cees