Do I really need to buy a Digital Coaxial Cable?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by John Pine, Oct 6, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I'm making a connection from DVD to receiver. Can I just use a Better Cable Silver Serpent interconnect cable that I already have? Any audible difference?

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Basically any 75ohm cable you have will do. This includes TV-antenna, video, and subwoofer cables; it does not include ordinary audio cables, no matter how high-end, because [even if they are constant-impedance, which is not usually the case, and even if they do have the 2MHz+ bandwidth required, which is not usually the case] there will be an impedance mismatch at each end which will mess up the eye pattern on the line. The SPDIF interconnect standard has a certain degree of tolerance for this kind of thing, but it is best not to chance it.

3. John Pine

John Pine
    This cable will be used as a Audio Digital Out for a DVD player to a Yamaha receiver. So I've got to have a 75-ohm connection?

4. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Yes, a 75ohm video cable is highly recommended. You can pick a quality cable up for about $15 from bluejeanscable.com

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...gaudprices.htm

However any cheap $5 composite 75ohm video cable will suffice if you are on an extreme budget.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The "Silver Serpent" cable you have is way over-kill for the coaxial-digital connection. I do believe all of these are made with 75 ohm coax so it should work fine. (Better Cables makes some nice cables [​IMG] )

Even if it was an audio cable made with something like 50 ohm coax, it will appear to work and wont harm anything. Just listen for audio drop-outs that happen every few minutes if you happen to use an audio cable instead of a video cable.

Hope this helps.

6. John Pine

John Pine
    Good info, thanks for the feedback and link guys! So...I guess it's not strange that I'll be using a "video cable" for an audio connection.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Not strange at all. What is strange is the cable manufacturers are marketing a "super duper made just for digital expenso cable" for a connection whose specifications were designed from the beginning to require only a 75 Ohm video cable.

8. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

All you have to remember is that "digital audio" isn't audio in any normal sense -- it's an RF signal which just happens to be translatable into audio with the proper equipment. It's rather like pulling in FM radio from your TV antenna.

9. John Pine

John Pine
    Got it, thanks guys!

10. Mike Milillo

Mike Milillo Stunt Coordinator

"Not strange at all. What is strange is the cable manufacturers are marketing a "super duper made just for digital expenso cable" for a connection whose specifications were designed from the beginning to require only a 75 Ohm video cable. "

Are you kidding? I can't believe all this time I thought that expensive cable was required. I have my DVD player hooked up with a digital audio coax and I paid like 40 bucks for it. So, this was unnecessary?

11. Mike Milillo

off topic---how do I do quotes?

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

there's a little "quote" button on the reply page. Copy the text you want to quote, click that button, then paste the text into the box that comes up. You'll see the "QUOTE" UBB tags in your reply.

13. Mike Milillo

thanks again

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

People tend to forget that the first consumer digital audio product was a box which did analog-digital and digital-analog conversions, and translated the digital signal into and out of a "fake" NTSC video-format signal, so that it could be recorded and played back on any consumer videotape recorder. Consumer digital audio equipment is still based to a great extent on the limitations and characteristics of the videotape format. Besides this kind of adapter, there were a couple of VHS and Beta VCRs with the function built in. In case you're wondering, a PCM signal recorded as video normally looks like a bunch of vertical bars of different heights; it's more regular than "snow", but it doesn't look like a picture.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My brother used to have one of those boxes, he used it to master home recordings.

The DAT format works a lot like video tape also, with helical spinning record heads.

16. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

I bought a 6 foot length cable for $3.00 at Radio Shack.

17. Mike Milillo

cool, thanks for all the info, quite informative