Do I really need the $80 surge suppressor?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Robert*V, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Robert*V

Robert*V Auditioning

What do you all use for plugging everything into - and how much should I expect to spend? Best Buy has a Monster surge suppressor for $80. Is there something else out there I should get? Thanks!

2. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

Are you looking at the 'clean power' surge suppressor?
    If you're not, I would say it's not worth it (except for the fact that Monster has a REALLY good policy for replacing connected equipment if it does get fried)
    I myself have my equipment hooked up to an MPB 1100 clean power bar and it made a big difference in the following cases: got rid of the short burst of squiggly lines in the tv every time my bar fridge turned on, I no longer have to break the ground on my cable TV input to get rid of the hum through my speakers when my Fidek sub amp is turned on, and the picture on the tv is definately better. I haven't done any back to back comparison's on audio yet.

3. Paul Sawyer

Paul Sawyer Auditioning

It somewhat depends on how your wiring is set up. When I had my basement wired, I had the electrician send a 'home run" line directly to the outlet for my HT system. My components are the only power consumer on that line. I purchased a $30 woods supressor for the components.

If is a shared power source, you may want the updrade. The refridge example is valid, though I also set my fridge up on it's own line.[​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you aren't looking for noise suppression due to unclean power (you would see this as things noted by the first response), you probably don't need the $80 job.

If you are looking for noise suppression, and live in an area prone to lightning, I'd consider the one you are talking about or even a better one.

DON'T buy this stuff at BB or CC. Go here:

http://www.powersystemsdirect.com/default.php

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Pick up the Stratitec (www.stratitec.com) for under $20 at Sam's Club or online for a bit more at www.directron.com otherwise if you live in lightning prone area such as parts of the midwest, texas, florida, seriously consider a whole house unit.

6. Robert*V

Robert*V Auditioning

Thanks all!

I think I'll try a Sam's club special for now and see if I run into any noise issues.

7. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I just bought a Panamax. I believe the place is called ad wizards. If you go to Yahoo and do a search they come up. They are an authorized dealer so you get the warranty and they have excellent prices too.[​IMG]