Do I really need progressive scan??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by SteveW, Jan 16, 2004.

1. SteveW

SteveW Agent

I have been doing alot of reading and researching and really can't find an exact answer to this question. I will be upgrading most of my home theater and have put myself on a budget. I will be getting the Hitachi 57S500 to start with. My current DVD player is a Panasonic DVD-RA60 which is not p-scan. In my reading I have discovered that alot of projection TVs have upscaling.

My questions is will the upscaling in the Hitachi be good enough for now or should I go ahead and spring for a p-scan DVD player. Will I see a noticable difference?? I am really trying to save a little money as I am probably going to upgrade my Onkyo TX-SV545 receiver because of the lack of digital and component inputs. I do have a chance to buy a Pioneer Elite DV45A for $175 from a friend who upgraded but that takes away from the TV/speaker/receiver budget.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Drew_S

Drew_S Auditioning

If your TV is HD, I think speding th money on a PS DVD player is a must. I just bought a Toshiba 4900 for $79. It has a MUCH better picture than my Sony Non-PS DVD player had. If your TV is not HD I do not think it would matter.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Have you looked a this thread:

Is a progressive scan DVD player a must?

I'll quote what I said there:

My advice: Get the TV, and see how your current player looks on it. It you like the image, leave it alone.

M.

4. SteveW

SteveW Agent

That thread was a very good read. Learned a little more. I think I will just try my current player when I get the TV. If it looks good I'll let it ride until next year which frees up a little more money for an even better receiver now.

I guess this whole progressive scan thing has alot of hype built up behind it. Just like monster cables. Not that I doubt p-scan makes a difference in some cases. Just not all. People like me who got into HT before p-scan was around and are now upgrading when it is hot are made to believe that you "have" to have p-scan for the best picture. Forums like this help people like me save a little money.

Now if someone could point my in the direction of a thread(s) that talks about the big differences between using digital audio inputs as oppposed to anaolg inputs maybe I can save a little more money and retain my current receiver for a little longer.

Thanks [​IMG]

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Take a look at the Receivers forum. If you already know the difference between digital and analog audio, you're beyond Basics. [​IMG]

M.

6. John S

John S Producer

If I bought a TV with the DCDi logo, I would not get a new DVD player.

If I bought a TV that could do progressive scan from a 48oi DVD player with component video, but did not have the DCDi logo, I would try it before deciding.

With that said, until just a few years ago, to get DCDi you had to anti up real big bucks. So being able to get it now for a couple of hundred bucks, almost makes the choice a no brainer. (Just do it!!!! lol)

I am facing the same choice now. I have a cheap non-progressive player, that looks way great letting my TV do the progressive scan, which as me waivering back and forth on the issue.