What's new

do I *really* need HDTV? (1 Viewer)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Elinor,

unfortunately WAF and room constraints are huge, which is why I'm sticking with the 26-27" range.

I'd also feel silly shelling out $2-4K for a much bigger LCD for my scant viewing habits (10-12 hours a week of DVDs) especially knowing that I could get a DLP projector for $1K, an option that's been ruled out only because I have no way of moving darkening my viewing room.

So hopefully in a few years when we move to a different place I'll scoop up the projector.

Well, my question is whether there's any strikingly obvious differences between 480i versus 480p DVD viewing in such a small screen. If not, I'd just go with the cheapest option, a 27" flat Toshiba SDTV for $350.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll call it notice-able... Some may say it's striking. I would not call it a striking difference in that size.

If you can get an ED for only a little more, I'd say it would be worth it, that way if you ever want to display HD on it. The Display would do HD some justice. But in your particular case, the cost of a full HDTV probably is not worth it at this time.

I have several friends that have ED only, and use HD on them, including a few new Plasma owners. It is quite good, the others bought sets just before HDTV and their TV's are labled as DTV's, they display HD content extremely well over SD (480i) only displays.

Will-Layfield

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is about televisions but I am thinking about purchasing a projector with native resolution of 800x600 which mean it will only project 480i. Would you all(from reading this thread) not recommend it? Basically reading some what between the lines it makes me think that 480i from a dvd player to a projector will look like crap at about 76 inches. Is this a good assumption?

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
Will, all front projectors are progressive scan by nature. Two things will happen, if your dvd player is only capable of outputting 480i, then your projector will perform the de-interlacing and convert the 480i signal to progressive. How welll, will depend on the particular chipset of the projetor. If your dvd player is capable of prog. scan, it will do the de-interlacing first and then output the 480p signal to the projector. Again, how well will depend on the chipset of the dvd player.

Either way, you'll get a progressive image. I have a 4805 and run a 480i image from my dvd player and the results at 76 inches are excellent. Very solid, stable image, very few if any artificats. My dvd player is an older unit, and not capable of 480p, but from my reading, a lot of 4805 owners with 480p dvd players are bypassing the 480p because the onboard de-interlacer does a better job than their dvd players in rendering a progressive image.

The following is an excerpt concerning the de-interlacing of the 4805.

I checked the performance of the deinterlacer with the montage on the Video Essentials (VE) disc using the interlaced component output from my Denon 1600 DVD player. The pan back from the building was fine, the leaves showed a bit of twitter (typical), and the waving US flag looked great with no sign of jaggies. The pan by the bridges looked very solid as well. In general, the progressive and interlaced inputs from the Denon looked very similar. The DCDi processing on both the DVD player and the projector was doing a similar job, and I would not be concerned about using the 4805 with an interlaced signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks