Do I really need DTS???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by CraigK, Nov 27, 2003.

1. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

Hey there. I have had a DOLBY DIGITAL receiver for years and have been very happy with it. It does not have DTS.

I am sure that this has been argued to death in other threads, but do I REALLY NEED a DTS receiver??? Will it be that much of an improvement? Its a simple question, but I just want to know before I blow $3-400 on a new receiver.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't worry about it. I have a few DTS dvd's and they sound good, but I don't think it's better. Does your receiver have 5.1 inputs? If it does, just buy a dvd player with built in DTS decoding.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Not really. Some people can't even hear a difference, some people claim a big difference. And being that only 25% of my DVDs support DTS, I don't think I would buy a new receiver just for DTS. There are many other things that you can do to improve your sound.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

I am not sure.

Here is my DVD player:

Panasonic (progressive scan) DVD-RP62

Receiver:

Pioneer VSX-D498
    (On the back it does have 5.1 ch input with plugs for SURROUND L + R, CENTER, and SUBWOOFER).

Now...MY DVD player has the DTS logo on it, my receiver does not.

6. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    When I moved into the Dolby Digital realm, I bought a receiver with just DD. DTS was not even out yet. It came out a few months later. I kept that receiver for about 4 years alway telling myself that there really was not a big difference between the two. And I had really convinced myself that there was not a difference.

But as always the upgrade bug bit me when Outlaw released their 950 pre/pro.

Something I noticed right away was that everything sounded better than my last receiver. It was no slouch either. It ran me $1,100! It was a Yamaha 992. A great receiver!

The Dolby Digital had much more separation and clarity. The soundstage really opened up. I don't know if it was because the Outlaw was such a better product or if the technology had just improved that much.

As far as DTS is concerned. Now I ALWAYS look to see if the movie is in DTS. It sounds much better 'to me' than the DD soundtracks. And DTS-ES is really awesome! I would now NEVER go back to a setup without DTS. I really enjoy it.

Oh, as far as the DD sounding better. Some might think my setup sounded better because I added separate amps, and while that is true, I bought and integrated the amps months before I got the pre/pro. I really think that the improvements in technology made the DD soundtracks sound better.

Jeff Aguilar

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

CraigK, I think the answer depends on how much of a critical listener you are. I say that because I doubt that the casual DVD viewer would notice any difference eventhough it's there. Personally, I prefer DTS in general. However, Dolby Digital gets the job done quite nicely.

8. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if you DVD has a built in DTS decoder. Check with the manual. If it does, you need to run the 5.1 outs on your dvd into the 5.1 inputs on your receiver. You will have to choose the 5.1 input on your receiver. If it doesn't, you will need to buy a new dvd player or receiver. Ecost has some really good deals on refurbished receivers. Check out the Kenwood for $90.00 or the Onkyo for $115.00. Good Luck!

9. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Hello.

I wouldn't buy a new receiver just to obtain DTS capability.

To get more wattage AND DTS, yes. To go from 5.1 to 7.1 AND get DTS, yes.

That said, I prefer DTS to DD. I have never heard DTS-ES vs. DD-EX (7.1) in a HT setting so I can't talk to that arguement, but for 5.1, DTS does it for me.

I believe (don't quote me) DTS soundtracks are 50% less compressed than DD soundtracks. Results in a (to my ears) more "open" sound. I find the surround action more lively in DTS too. If I have a choice of the same movie, both in widescreen, I buy the DTS over the DD. If the DVD has both DTS and DD tracks, I'll get that one then.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

No it isn't worth it to upgrade just to get DTS but nowadays if you are buying a new Reciever it will have it so if there are features on the newer recievers that you will want, then DTS is a bonus.

Features on newer receivers you might want..:

Component video switching
    Video Upconversion
    Dolby Pro Logic II and IIx
    Dolby 6.1
    DTS 6.1 Discrete

These are just a few of the current features and there are many more so my recommendation would be YES I would upgrade but it wouldn't be because of DTS.

Also, I would plan on spending a few hundred more. The quality of receiver you will get will be substantially better by spending a little more.

11. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

i agree wholeheartedly with the majority of the consensus when they say its not worth upgrading your receiver for DTS alone. however, it has became such a standard feature in almost all of the newer receivers that getting a new avr for the sole purpose of acquiring dts is moot.

get a new avr because you are looking to get more power, and/or additional features as outlined in Shane Martin's post.

that said, i do have to admit that i personally find the DTS tracks superior to their DD counterparts. in not all, but most cases - to me - they sound superb. better transparency between the channels, throatier bass, and clarity in voices are just some of the things i notice in the dts tracks.

but...to each their own [​IMG]

12. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

The easiest way to see if a DVD player has a built-in DTS decoder is to first check for the 5.1 analog outputs--if it doesn't have those then it definitely doesn't.

Secondly even if it does it may only have built-in DD and not DTS as well. Then all you have to do to determine if it does have a DTS decoder look at the "dts" logo on the player. If it says "DIGITAL OUT" below "dts" then it does not have a built-in DTS decoder. If it says "SURROUND" below "dts" then it does.

13. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    My first HT receiver was a Aiwa DV-75 which did not have DTS. The only reason I missed it was for the DTS 5.1 music DVD's like Days Of Future Passed by The Moody Blues. When I did up-grade, it wasn't for DTS alone, but now that I have it I feel more "complete". But there's still that empty space waiting for the uni- DVD player. Gene

14. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

Dolby Digital is all you need. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

No, you don't NEED DTS. all you need is love, and fire, and food.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Don't bother. DD sounds fine.

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I had my old 5.1 receiver for years. It was not capable of doing 6.1 which I wanted for sure, but I held off buying until I was able to get a good/decent receiver with good internal amps/power. Then and only then did I step into the 6.1 arena. Your situation is not so different from mine.

19. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

I still regret "upgrading" my Denon 2801 to a DP-II capable Marantz SR6200. I'll never again upgrade just to get one DSP mode I hardly ever use. I wish I had spent that oney on a nicer Amp instead.

20. John S

John S Producer

yes and no... lol

It is not just DTS you know...

Dolby EX, DTS / DTS Neo:6, Various manufactures 7.1 modes, seem to make excellent use of 6.1, and 7.1 capability.

I was experiementing with this on 2 channel Dolby ProLogic sources yesterday, and it always seemed better and more enveloping in 6.1 or 7.1 modes.

Of course there was my friend Richard sitting there telling me he could not hear any difference at all. So it is subjective at best... lol

But in general I gave it a big thumbs up! If not just for the percieved improvement on 2 channel Dolby Pro Logic sources. (IE: test source = standard cable network NFL)

Of course I run sort of crazy. I run A+B sets of sides as I have a fairly long room, along with 2 backs. 2 very forward seating positions, 2 medium seating positions, and 3 rear seating positions. I entertain with it a lot.

Now when my new HDTV arrives and I get it installed, I am holding an actual viewing party where I will need to figure out 12 to 14 seating positions. 12 is really about the max I should try to host, but there are so many thinking about HDTV this xmas season, they are coming out of the woodwork, hearing from a friend of a friend and calling me and inviting themselves for the event, and I don't even have the new HDTV yet!!! lol

It just goes to show.. "Build it, and they will come" lol