What's new

Do I really need an amp? (1 Viewer)

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all...I'm a newbie here, and really just started getting involved in HT stuff, but I sure love it. You guys have completely inspired me(if only I knew how expensive this stuff was before I started...too late!). Anyways, on to my question. I just purchased a Denon 1802 and M&K 750 MKII THX Select speaker package. I live in a single bedroom apt., so I obviously can't be too loud. I really enjoy the movies have great DD, so I don't wanna kill a tweeter or something. So, do you guys think an amp would dramatically improve my setup(clarity, etc). Thanks in advance...

Reality check time--yes, it's very possible that you could see an improvement with an external amplifier. However, as you admit, you JUST GOT your gear. Enjoy it for a little while at least before you start questioning its quality. Ask yourself some questions:

1. With my current setup, is there something missing from the sound that I wish was there?

2. With my current setup, is there something added to the sound that I don't like?

3. Can I borrow a friend's separate amp to try it out?

4. Is it worth the added cost to purchase an amplifier in addition to my receiver's amp?

I have a receiver, and a separate amp, just so you know. I love my amp (EAD PowerMaster 500), and you can take it from me when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. But given where I was in my knowledge of HT gear at the time, I probably would not do the same thing again. Buying a separate amp right after a receiver basically means you bought a pre/pro, in which case you would have been better off getting a dedicated one of those to begin with. Not a good feeling.

My advice would be to take some time and enjoy what you have. The "upgrade bug" bites just about every time you read the forum, but that doesn't mean you always have to scratch the itch. In the long run, although it may gnaw at you, you know it's better to avoid touching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks