Do I really need a "Subwoofer" labeled interconnect? Or...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Scott_Jua, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Scott_Jua

Scott_Jua Stunt Coordinator

Do I REALLY need a cable labeled as a subwoofer interconnect, or can I simply use any old audi RCA cable witha Y-adapter for my SVS to my 45TX? Is there a real benfit to getting a cable supposedly "designed" for subwoofer use? Or am I a victim of marketing hype?

I bought a 60$ cable from Ultimate (Monster brand) but would love to know if I can use something more practical...???

Must know TODAY!!! Please...help...

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I would say $60 to connect your sub to your receiver is WAY too much, but that's just me. I have tested digital coax vs. a shielded cable from RatShack and couldn't hear any difference. So, you might try that rout.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    A fairly cheap alternative that’s fairly popular around here is to get a long RF (antenna) cable, and put “F” to RCA adapters on both ends.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

No, you dont have to use a "special" subwoofer cable so packaged from Monster and others.

But I wouldnt use a regular RCA audio speaker wire (twisted strands) either. For the most, a shielded coax with copper center conductor is used.

This can be found easiest by buying a 25-foot length of RG6 from RadioShack with F-Connectors -- $7. Then buy two F-to-RCA adapters -- $5. For SVS, it's not necessary to split the feed into the sub amp; just plug into the L input.

Another option is go to a local custom stereo store and have them cut an RG6 (maybe even in white)to your desired run length and use their crimpers to attach F-Connectors and THEN get those RCA adapters. Just as cheap.

bill

5. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I've got my SW connected with an Acoustic Research 12' standard composite video cable. I read somewhere that this was OK, and I can't complain one bit about performance.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I bought a Monster Bass M300SW-12 cable for between my sub and reciever. There (to my ears) is a huge difference in cable quality. With the Monster Bass I get a very tight even response from the sub and no loss in the lower frequencys. I personally think it was worth it but everyone will have there respective opinions on this. And hey mine only ran 40 bux for a 12 foot length.

8. Scott_Jua

My run to my SVS is only 3-4 feet at most...so I'm not concerned with long runs, however it's helpful to know for the future and/or friends who may run into this same dilema.
    So what's the deal with there being Directional markings on "subwoofer interconnects" and how does that correlate to the RG6 solution? Does anyone have a link to this material so I have a visual or part number reference?
    THANKS GUYS!!! [​IMG]

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

10. Scott_Jua

Well I actually went out and got the RG6 cable...6 foot length...and terminated it with RCA adapters like you guys all suggested. I hooked it up and gave it a whirl and did some A/B comprisons with the Overpriced Monster bale "subwoofer" cable.

The sound quality was close...and I HATE to admit it but I DID hear a difference. The Monster cable sounded a TAD bit smoother and carried alittle more frequency. I did it blind, so I was confused by the comparison. I was hoping the cable I liked more would be the cheaper route...and in the end...it was a VERY VERY slight difference...but ti was audible.

Now I'm sure that I will return the Monster rip off, but what other avenues to pursue to get the sound quality I heard from it???

I bought the RG6 cable from RAdioshack...and it had some spring loaded attachement to the neck on the F-type connectors. This was not very stable and seemed to pop at time when it was moved or the wire relaxed. Are there other alternatives?

Are there other types of cables that would do the same thing...although don't require F-RCA adapters???

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Scott: my personal opinion is that subwoofers are sensitive to a tight-fitting RCA plug. (This has not been confirmed by other audiophiles so dont think this is a 'accepted fact').

And Monster, while over-hyped, have "turbine-grip-of-death" connectors. They must have done this for a reason.

Try one of the custom cable sites. They sell great quality coax and have the correct tools to crimp on high-quality connectors on the end.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The coolcat subcable from www.catcables.com would be about $35 for your run and has the nice locking RCA's that Bob thinks is a big factor in sub cables (I agree BTW) Having tried various RCA's incl the F to RCA types the locking ones catcables use are nice b/c its easy to clamp them down nice and tight but just as easy to unlock them and slide it off unlike some of the death grip RCA's you tend to see being used.

13. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I agree about the Monster it does seem to have a smoother more defined sound over typical cables. I thought mine was worth it.

14. Scott_Jua

ok I'm narrowing it down now...

catcables

rhinocables

and the AR 12$ variety, and IXOS Silver Gamma master: both at ac4l.com

What are the main differences other than aesthetics about these different cables? Do I really need the extra clamping power of the catcable brand or in reality will any of these be great?

I hate to spark a subjective war over here...but I can't find any compelling reason to spend less or more than I have to. All I know is that I feel significantly ripped by the monster cable I have (and still can return)...and it DOES have the turbine grip of death.

15. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

I also have a long run , almost 35 feet and am looking @ the IXOS for my new SVS box sub on order. Any more thoughs on IXOS ?

16. Scott_Jua

I have a short run...4 feet at most...and a six foot cable seems to be long enough... and a 3meter...has much slack laying around for me...

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The reality is that most well built sheilded cable will work ok as a sub cable. What you're paying for with catcables and rhino (I'm guessing with rhino) is hand made cables that are made to the lenghts you require. That means if you only need a 4 foot cable that's what you'll get...with most others you'll have to buy the 6 foot since all they make is 3 and 6 feet. One potential problem is that coiling that extra two feet can affect the cables performance in a negative way. Also as far as I'm aware most of these companies (exept outlaw) will accept returns on their products so you really dont' have anything to loose by trying one.

18. Chris_Cur

Chris_Cur Agent

Bumping this thread because I have a similar question:

I need a short (less than 3 ft.) subwoofer cable; that's pretty hard to find, especially for a reasonable price. I have a spare Monster Interlink 300MKII (audio interconnect cable) sitting around. Is there any reason it won't work as a subwoofer cable?

EDIT: I also have a spare digital coaxial cable sitting around. Would that do the trick? If they'd both work, which would I be better off using?

19. Chris_Cur

Chris_Cur Agent

^^^

]

]

Can anybody answer this? Is anybody even seeing it, or should I start a new thread...

20. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I would steer clear of the audio interconnect, most recommend a video cable because of the solid center wire. The digital coax should do fine.