What's new

Do I Need Upgrades? (1 Viewer)

cdnmedic

Auditioning
Real Name
Al
I am trying to get the most of my sound system and make this the best home theater I can within a decent budget. Here is what I have so far.

Yamaha DPX 830 Projector
120" motorized screen
Panasonic BD 30

Yamaha RX V496 Reciever
PSB speakers (5 yrs old) center, 2x front towers, 4x sattelites (7.1)
Velodyne CHT 10" Sub

I know my reciever will not support 7.1 and I only have the 5 psb's set up at the moment. I do have the other 2 at home for when I upgrade my reciever.
BD 30 hooked up via HDMI to projector
BD 30 hooked up via Dig Coax to reciever

Question 1
Is there anything on this list that I am missing? Or I should get rid of?
Question 2
Is digital coax better than optical wire?
Question 3
I was thinking of getting Yamaha RXV3800B is there anything else I should be considering instead for same price and options? Looking for 7.1, master audio, decent output. DOnt need Sat radio and other stuff. Looking strictly for Home theater.

Thanks for the input

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Al. Welcome to HTF!

The system looks good. Decent equipment properly cabled. There should be no difference between optical or coaxial-digital in terms of sound.

I am not sure of the CHT series of subs, but an upgrade to an SVS or HSU sub might be nice, but gravy.

I am a fan of Yamaha, but the Onkyo TX-SR505, 605, 705 receivers have a LOT of features for budget prices so look at one of these before you buy.

But - calibrate the display with the BluRay version of Digital Video Essentials and level adjust the speakers with a SPL meter - and you have a great system.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
If the room is big enough for a 120" screen, I'd definitely upgrade the sub. A good 10" sub isn't even enough in a living room. I have a 12" in my living room and dual 12" in the HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks