do i need tower speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jerry quintana, Jun 4, 2002.

1. jerry quintana

i am about to purchace my first home theater speakers and i for some reasom have it in my head that i need tower speakers all around. i was thinking speakers with the subs built in. a audiophile store told me that if i had four tower speakers with subs that i wouldnt need a seperate sub is this correct? any input would be helpfull. i have a budget of about 500-800 for speakers. also the room that these will be in is about 14.6X11.2 thanks

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

1) I don't think you'll find 4 or 5 towers with built-in subs for $800.

2) NO you don't need towers, you are probably better off with 4 monitor / bookshelves and 1 sub.

3) Speakers with subs built in are a very bad comprimise, they are hard to place and are generally boomy in my experiense.

4) Welcome to HTF and happy shopping!

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

4. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Tow towers aren't even necessary if you have a sub that blends well with your mains, without any gaps in frequency response. I'd go with bookshelf speakers all around and a good sub just like James recommended.

5. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

Let me offer yet another opinion agreeing with these gentlemen. With your limited budget (nothing wrong with that...it's a beginner budget) I would certainly not go for full towers all around because you will blow your budget or force to compromise with lower grade towers. You really don't need towers unless you plan to listen to a lot of music in stereo mode. I think 4 bookshelves with a dedicated center or even 5 bookshelves will work out much better for you since you really have to get a sub to get the most impact out of a home theater.