Do I need to pay for another jack install to have 2 boxes in the same room?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Don Black, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I want to install two cable boxes in the same room (1 HDTV, 1 DTV). There is already a single jack installed there. My cable company claims that they will need to install a second jack for the second box. Otherwise, I will experience some signal degradation if they use a splitter. Is this true? Or are they just trying to bill me for an install that I don't need?

Thanks!

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I want to install two cable boxes in the same room (1 HDTV, 1 DTV). There is already a single jack installed there. My cable company claims that they will need to install a second jack for the second box. Otherwise, I will experience some signal degradation if they use a splitter. Is this true? Or are they just trying to bill me for an install that I don't need?

Thanks!

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

A single splitter should not degrade the signal strength enough to cause any problems. I have a 3 to 1 splitter in my main system -- one coax goes to the HD cable box, one goes to the TV, and the third goes to the DVD recorder.

Why would you need two cable boxes? The HD box should also tune in your regular and digital cable channels.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

A single splitter should not degrade the signal strength enough to cause any problems. I have a 3 to 1 splitter in my main system -- one coax goes to the HD cable box, one goes to the TV, and the third goes to the DVD recorder.

Why would you need two cable boxes? The HD box should also tune in your regular and digital cable channels.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You will be splitting after the cable jack. They will be splitting before and giving you two cable jacks. Same thing either way.

-Robert

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You will be splitting after the cable jack. They will be splitting before and giving you two cable jacks. Same thing either way.

-Robert

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just try to get a higher bandwidth splitter, up to 1100MHz. They are not that much more expensive at Radio Shack, or other local electronics stores.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just try to get a higher bandwidth splitter, up to 1100MHz. They are not that much more expensive at Radio Shack, or other local electronics stores.

9. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I have the cable TV split in my house 10 ways (to 10 different rooms, not all of them are in use), then another 3-way at my system going to the TV, VCR, and cable box. At the last split at my TV I get an exact 0 db gain reading, which is perfect.

Unless the signal coming into your house is very weak, you should not have a problem spliting the signal.

Oh yeah, it splits right at the very beginning into the cable modem.

10. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I have the cable TV split in my house 10 ways (to 10 different rooms, not all of them are in use), then another 3-way at my system going to the TV, VCR, and cable box. At the last split at my TV I get an exact 0 db gain reading, which is perfect.

Unless the signal coming into your house is very weak, you should not have a problem spliting the signal.

Oh yeah, it splits right at the very beginning into the cable modem.

11. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Scott: I want to run multiple PVRs.

Patrick: Thanks for the recommendation. I will probably let them install their generic splitter and then replace it with an HQ one from RatShack.

Thanks everyone.

12. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Scott: I want to run multiple PVRs.

Patrick: Thanks for the recommendation. I will probably let them install their generic splitter and then replace it with an HQ one from RatShack.

Thanks everyone.