Do I need to make sure poly fill is not up on my amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Cramlet, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Andrew_Cramlet

Hey guys. Quick question --

I'm about ready to finish up my DIY sub. I am mounting a plate amp to the side of my box, and I am getting ready to fill the box with poly fill.

My question is, do I need to make sure the poly fill isn't too close to the amp? Is there any heat being generated there? I would say there has to be? Does it need air around it to keep it cool? etc, etc...

Thanks

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

3. Andrew_Cramlet

I have the PE 250W amp that seems to be pretty common around here.

It's circuitry is fairly exposed in my opinion. I don't see any type of insulation on the board itself either.

Also, what about the driver? I don't see the same type of potential problems there, but is there anything to be aware of concerning the poly fill?

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Poly fill is pretty inert stuff.. I wouldn't worry about it interfering. As far as the driver goes, just make sure it's not getting packed in the basket where it might interfere with the cone.

5. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

Good question and good answers... I was going to get to this exact question in about a week or three myself [​IMG].