What's new

Do I need to make sure poly fill is not up on my amp? (1 Viewer)

Hey guys. Quick question --

I'm about ready to finish up my DIY sub. I am mounting a plate amp to the side of my box, and I am getting ready to fill the box with poly fill.

My question is, do I need to make sure the poly fill isn't too close to the amp? Is there any heat being generated there? I would say there has to be? Does it need air around it to keep it cool? etc, etc...

Thanks

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My question is, do I need to make sure the poly fill isn't too close to the amp? Is there any heat being generated there? I would say there has to be? Does it need air around it to keep it cool? etc, etc...
Yes there is heat being generated there, however, it shouldn't be a problem. The amp probably has heat sinks mounted on the front of the amp. Otherwise, it dissipates heat through the plate itself. Especially if the back of the amp is sealed. They usually seal the whole guts of the thing in this special plastic goop that help draw heat from the parts. I wouldn't worry unless the back is open (circuitry exposed).. then you may want to put some sort of screen over it just so the poly fill doesn't find it's way into the parts.

I have the PE 250W amp that seems to be pretty common around here.

It's circuitry is fairly exposed in my opinion. I don't see any type of insulation on the board itself either.

Also, what about the driver? I don't see the same type of potential problems there, but is there anything to be aware of concerning the poly fill?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Poly fill is pretty inert stuff.. I wouldn't worry about it interfering. As far as the driver goes, just make sure it's not getting packed in the basket where it might interfere with the cone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks