Do I need to keep the boxes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Travis, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Tim Travis

Tim Travis Agent

I was always under the impression that if anything went wrong with my tv, speakers and audio equipment, that I would need the original boxes to return them. Is this true? I live in an apartment and am already tight on space.

Some are warranties through the good guys, and some are through the manufacturer (mainly klipsch speakers). Is it just easier to have the boxes or is it needed? Thanks for any replies.

If this is in the wrong area, I apologize. It seems off topic, but HT related.

Tim

2. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

The only good reason for keeping the boxes is either for moving or for resale value....buyers like the original boxes.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Randy is right.
    Plus, a lot of times, if you have to ship the unit back to the manufacturer for warranty repair work, it will *not* be covered unless you ship it back in the original box.
    But, *sometimes*, the manufacturer will ship you a box if you need one. For a price, of course. [​IMG]

4. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

By all means keep the boxes. The last two posts are right on the money. When it comes to resale, I'm anal enough that I keep a file of reviews on the products that I have bought. I use these reviews as a reference for the next person buying my pre-owned equipment.

Keep the Boxes

Ron

5. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

By all means keep the boxes. The last two posts are right on the money. When it comes to resale, I'm anal enough that I keep a file of reviews on the products that I have bought. I use these reviews as a reference for the next person buying my pre-owned equipment.

Keep the Boxes

Ron

6. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

I too am a box hound. The only thing I don't have boxes for are the items that have virtually no value, like 10 year old stereo receivers, klh bookshelves, 1st generaction CD players.
    Probably 1/2 of my old apt's storage went to EMPTY boxes. [​IMG]

7. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Keeping the boxes is a good idea -- especially for resale when you upgrade (which you inevitably will).

One solution to the space problem would be to carefully remove all staples etc, open the boxes out completely and flatten them (most boxes start out in a flattened state anyways, so you will not be damaging them permanently). That way, you can store more in a given space and reconstruct them as and when the need arises.

8. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I keep ALL of my boxes. People WILL pay more for an item with it's original box when you sell it. I think people feel that it is safer to ship them in the original box, and that the owner who keeps the original packaging tends to take better care of their stuff. The only problem with this for me is, my attic would probably explode in a fireball should the unthinkable happen! [​IMG]
    Pete

9. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

I save them for one reason. Several years ago I had 1200.00 worth of car stereo equipment stolen and my insurance company denied my claim because I did not have the original boxes. Even with the misc wiring strewn about, cut up dash, and empty speaker holes, they still denied me. Now I save all boxes from home/car electronics. Break them down if you need to then they can slip under your bed or wherever

10. Tim Travis

Tim Travis Agent

Should I also keep the packing foam inside? I figured I could break them down, but then what do I do with the foam. Thanks for the replies. I am a long time member, but don't post all that much.

Tim

11. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

If you have space for the foam, keep it. If not, people forget(ha-ha) to ask if you kept the original foam.
    Ron, you're not the only one who keeps reviews to help nudge a sale.

12. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Tim:

Keep the foam, plastic, staples, receipt, everything assoicated with the purchase of the electronics.