What's new

do i need to change my rca cables???? (1 Viewer)

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
im wondering when i get my denon 2802 and my speakers cani still use the old rca cables (youknow the kind you get a walmart) or should i cet new cables the ones with the gold plated ends look nice

what is the diff.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You can still use the old cables. The most expensive part of the cable is generally the connector. A good connection is important. If you want something reasonable of decent quality, places like www.milestek.com can make up a custom cable. They have all kinds of quality. You can buy your standard run of the mill stuff for $1.50 for a 3 ft. pair or their better RCAs for $14.99 for a 3 ft. pair. You can have them make up video grade RCA cables for $12 plus $0.20 ft. If you are looking for upgrades beyond that then you might want to look at places like www.diycable.com or www.homegrownaudio.com or www.latinternational.com.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
David: Some units come with "Patch Cord" type of cables that look like the 2-conductor "Walkman Heaphone" cable. This is simply 2 un-shielded wires in parallel.

If these are the Walmart cables you describe, you should change them.

Decent interconnects are usually of the Coaxial type. They are about as thick/thicker than your CATV coax. The Radio Shack and AR brands are good, budget cables. Monster is also good, but over-priced IMHO.

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
also i have one s video on my tv do i run my svideo from my dvd player to the reciever and then to the tv or what????

another thing do the make a s video y conector. you know if you have one s video (like i do)and you need two

also which is better to use the s video out, or the other video out( rca cable)

one more thing why do you need to run your video in to the reciever then to the tv anyway; how does this help

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Dave,
I'd just run out and get some Radio Shack (already made, no waiting) Gold Series RCA audio cables for under $15 for a 6' pair with gold ends and thicker insulation than what came with your equipment.
One other price friendly brand to look at is the Acoustic Research cables found at Best Buy etc.
They may not look fancy or come from a website full of amazing sounding marketing verbage, but you can bet either of the above two brands will make you AND your wallet plenty happy! :)
Good luck in you quest!
(p.s. Get ready for an onslaught of suggestions and thoughts on this subject. Some price concious, some a bit out in left field (IMHO))

BruceD

Screenwriter
Hookup depends on how easy you want to make changing sources.

If your TV has multiple inputs (video) you can hook your DVD video, antenna, cable, VCR or whatever directly to the TV. This doesn't use your receiver as a switching device for video, but probably gives better video quality.

Your TV may have 3 different types of video input, in order of quality, component is the best, coax the worst:

1) coax with F connectors (like cable, called composite)

2) S video (special connector)

3) component (3 RCA connectors Y, Cr, Cb or Y, Pr, Pb) these are 75 Ohm video cables

Simplest way is to buy cables labeled for "AV" use like the RS Gold series mentioned above and use them for video, digital audio, and analog audio.

These are 75 Ohm RCA cables and can be used for:

1) 5.1 digital audio out from the DVD player to receiver

2) PCM digital audio out from CD player to receiver

3) component video-out from DVD to TV (need 3 cables)

3) any analog L&R audio connections

eg. VCR audio L&R out to receiver or TV L&R analog input

or CD audio L&R out to receiver L&R analog input

BruceD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks