Do I need these speakers??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kamal_K, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

I am planning my HT, my room is 20x15 with a mitsu 55511. I have a sony stred845 receiver currently with a sony wm20(50 watt) amp. I went to a local HT audio store looking to spend about 500-800 for speakers. The guy was trying to convince me to get these 850.00 a pair klipsch floor speakers and build my HT a step at a time starting with fronts and a center., I believe they were the RF3 series, I think. I know my sub needs to go and I plan on upgrading that in a month or two. My question is do I really need something that expensive for fronts. I liked the paradigm fronts I seen, they were bookshelp priced at 359 a pair. I need some help here. thank you.

2. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Get what sounds good to you, not what the sales person is trying to get off his floor.

Seth

3. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

The dealer isn't necessarily wrong--he's simply suggesting one way to build a system. Basically, you need to end up with 5 speakers and a sub before you can truly enjoy a digital home theater experience. The question is, do you buy six cheaper speakers now, or do you buy more expensive ones, a few at a time...

My suggestion if you're on a tight budget, and don't plan spending more anytime soon: if the system is going to be used 80% or more for HT, go with smaller speakers all-round and a sub. If you really enjoy listening to music, I'd get really good mains and center for now, and fill in the rest of the system later.

$800USD for speakers is actually a difficult number to work with, as it straddles the line between a really good sub/sat combo (JBL NSP, Energy Take, etc.), and an entry level tower/bookshelf combo.

With the 300 Sq. foot room and large TV you have, you may want to go with speakers capable of filling the room with sound proportionate to yout TV picture.

I'm afraid I agree with the dealer on this one...though I'd suggest listening to as many speakers as you can first.(amplified by a receiver like yours, using your CDs/DVDs etc.). Could you use old speakers for surrounds until the money-tree blooms again?

Derek

4. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

You don't really need them - as they do not support life. It's a question of wants, budgets and audio acuity. I just recently upgraded from Polk rt 10's to Pardigm Studio 40's. I think they sound incredible, my wife does not think (or want to admit[​IMG] ) that they sound any different.
    Klipsch are great speakers. So are Paradigm and dozens of others.
    Be leary of salespeople who seem to be focusing on a specific product. They may truely believe in the product or there might be a higher commission or spiff associated with the product. Question is, how do you tell.
    The universal advice is that the three across the front should be matched.
    My advice, buy what sounds good to you at a price you are comfortable with (+ 20%).

5. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

thanks for all the advice, I found the same speakers at crazyeddie.com for 534.95 http://store.yahoo.com/crazyeddieonl...prf3iiflo.html
    I will listen to some others but I really liked the sound of these and the price is even better now, I can pick up a center and use my current rears.