Do I need the

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jeff TC, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Jeff TC

Jeff TC Extra

I recently bought a pair of Athena AS-F1 floorstanding speakers, and they came with a set of "feet" (not sure the proper terminology) that appear to be optional. Is the purpose to steady them, or to set them up higher from the carpet to improve the sound? Either way, what are the pros and cons of using them? (The speakers do sit on carpet.)

And... while I'm at it, any one use the Athena SST-2234 speaker stands? My rears are Athena AS-B2s, and I need some stands. I wondered if the speakers just sit on these stands or are attached somehow. With kids running around, I want to make sure the speakers would be relatively secure...

Thanks much.

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Nice Speakers,did you get them from Audio Advisor? The feet are called spikes and must (IMO) be used if your speakers are on a carpeted floor. There's a couple reasons why you need the spikes: first, a speaker (espcially a floorstander) should remain stable, unable to rock back and forth (as the woofer pushes out, it may tend to push the whole speaker back). Adding the spikes will tighten up the bass and midrange. Second, they help to isolate the speaker from the floor (4 small points on the floor, instead of the whole cabinet bottom). I'm no expert, but I have tried my floorstanders with and without the spikes and the difference is huge, much better with the spikes in place.

3. Jeff TC

Jeff TC Extra

James,

Thanks for the advice.

I bought the speakers at Best Buy... I was pleasantly surprised that BB actually carried a brand that during my research I found everyone raving about.

As far as the speaker stands, Athena tells me they are discontinued -- they didn't like the looks of the Auditions on the stands. So they are apparently working on a replacement. If anyone has ideas for a good stand (adjustable), please let me know.

4. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Jeff, I'm planning on going for an Audition setup myself. At least for now, my mind changes like the weather. Anyhow, I've been looking at stands for when I get my AS-B1's or B2's for rears and I am not happy about the options. I am not going to spend more than $100 for stands and it seems that stands at and below this price point won't hold a speaker this darn good. [​IMG] The B1 and B2 are 30 and 35 lbs respectivaly. The best I can find is 25lb limit on stands. You'll have to shell out $179 or so for some that will take on 35 lbs.

Surely a 25lb stand will do okay with a 30lb speaker right? Not sure about a 35 pounder though.

5. Jeff TC

Jeff TC Extra

Lee,

I'd read somewhere in these forums that Athena recommends Omnimounts for their speakers... not sure if that is true or not... but the Omnimounts I've looked at (RC1 A/H) do not look sturdy enough.

I have spotted the discontinued SST-2234s a couple of places online for as low about $100, and they look pretty sturdy (and should be if designed for the Auditions). But if Athena discontinued them because they didn't like their looks with the Auditions, I'm not sure I would either.

I also remain concerned about simply setting a speaker of this size on a stand... or, as Athena has suggested, attaching with double-sided tape, which will get messy. With kids and a dog and cats, it would only be a matter of time before one got knocked off. But the "clamp" stand alternative looks a little cheesy. Guess there are some advantages to the JBLs I have in my other system -- they're the ones that screw right into the stands (but they don't weight 35 lbs either).

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Jeff,

Many people will suggest that speaker placement according to one's room layout, sound absorption, furniture, carpeting is the MAJOR tweak in establishing the sound stage at the seatged position.

As such, I'd recommend leaving the spikes off temporarily until you are finished making these TWO or THREE inch movements of the front mains. I tried moving mine with the spikes and what a lifting pain!

It's easier to stick some masking tape on the carpet for position A and position B and just slide the spkr here and there. Then the spikes can be screwed in.

bill