What's new

Do I need progressive-scan???? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeP

Auditioning
I currently have a low end Panasonic DVD player (A-110,with no component out, only S-video), that I bought three years ago connected to my new HT. I have a Pioneer Elite PRO610-HD monitor with Anthem MCA-5 amp and AVM-2 reciever. Currently I am very happy with my picture while watching DVD's.Will a new DVD player with progressive-scan and component out provide me with a noticeable improvement? Thanks for your input.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Simply put... Yes, it'll provide a better picture, no doubt.
- Chip
------------------

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
The PRO-610HD has an excellent built-in line doubler. As such you would see relatively less benefit from a progressive scan player compared with a lesser monitor. But generally speaking you are likely to see the best results from a progressive player where deinterlacing is accomplished in the digital domain. Just remember to look at progressive players that have on-board aspect ratio control; the PRO-x10HD series locks in full mode when receiving a progressive signal, fine for anamorphic discs but not for basic letterboxed transfers. Given the quality of the 610's line doubler this isn't as much of a concern, but nevertheless a strong consideration. Our own Robert George owns a 710HD and has reported exceedingly good results with the new Panasonic RP-91.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks