Do I need progressive-scan????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GeorgeP, Aug 12, 2001.

1. GeorgeP

GeorgeP Auditioning

I currently have a low end Panasonic DVD player (A-110,with no component out, only S-video), that I bought three years ago connected to my new HT. I have a Pioneer Elite PRO610-HD monitor with Anthem MCA-5 amp and AVM-2 reciever. Currently I am very happy with my picture while watching DVD's.Will a new DVD player with progressive-scan and component out provide me with a noticeable improvement? Thanks for your input.

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Simply put... Yes, it'll provide a better picture, no doubt.
    - Chip
    ------------------

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The PRO-610HD has an excellent built-in line doubler. As such you would see relatively less benefit from a progressive scan player compared with a lesser monitor. But generally speaking you are likely to see the best results from a progressive player where deinterlacing is accomplished in the digital domain. Just remember to look at progressive players that have on-board aspect ratio control; the PRO-x10HD series locks in full mode when receiving a progressive signal, fine for anamorphic discs but not for basic letterboxed transfers. Given the quality of the 610's line doubler this isn't as much of a concern, but nevertheless a strong consideration. Our own Robert George owns a 710HD and has reported exceedingly good results with the new Panasonic RP-91.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."