What's new

Do I need progressive scan? (1 Viewer)

Cory

Auditioning
I have the following tv, Panasonic 53" Widescreen PT-53WX53.

Now, I have an older Sony DVP-S360 DVD player. It has component outs but is NOT progressive scan. I am currently using it's component outs with some very nice quality component cables.

What I'm wondering is whether or not I really need a progressive scan DVD player? Will I notice a significant difference? I asked one guy and he said he'd have to see what the interlacing is on my tv, that is jibberish to me.

If you DO recommend a progressive scan DVD player? What do you recommend that is $200 and under? I have no clue what is out and what is good or bad.

Thanks SO MUCH for any/all help you can provide, it is greatly appreciated!!!

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
i've got the same tv. it looks great with an interlaced sansui dvd/vcr combo player. the tv's built-in deinterlacer/scaler seems to work quite well. if i ever have to replace the sansui i will check out a progressive player, but i dont think it will look any better. see if you can borrow one to check it out. you might need to spend upwards of 300 bux to beat the panasonic's internal electronics.

ag.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Probably you would notice an improvement only if you got a progressive model with a top-rated de-interlacer like Faroudja, not the cheapo models or Sony/Toshiba that don't have high quality de-interlacers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks