1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I Need Pro Logic IIx?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Davey_T, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Davey_T

Davey_T Stunt Coordinator

I've danced around this topic a bit in other threads. But here's the Big Question that keeps going around in my head:

I'm building a 7.1 theater. Do I need Pro Logic IIx?

If the answer is "no," then I can get some good deals on some of last year's HK receivers I've asked about in other threads.

Thanks!

Dave

2. Travis Cain

Travis Cain Stunt Coordinator

No one NEEDS it. But you might enjoy it a lot with a 7.1 system. I would personally opt to have it in a 7.1 environment.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Last years HK receivers mean that you would be getting Logic 7. Some would argue that Logic 7 is as good as PLIIx but I've read that it's not for movies.

That is a decision I need to make as well because I'm comparing a few receivers including the 7200 HK which has Logic 7.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

H/K receivers only have Logic 7 for 2 ch material. Even the 8000, which could apply Logic 7 to 5.1 sources, down-converted to 2.0 before applying L7.

Logic 7 works quite well for movies and for music. I use it for all DD/DTS movies.

DPL IIx is more like Lexicon's Logic 7: you can use it for 2.0 sources and 5.1 (or 6.1) sources.

I agree: nobody *needs* DPL IIx. [​IMG] But if you're doing a 7.1 system, it comes much cheaper than Logic 7, and from what I hear, is very close in performance. Be aware, that DPL IIx is a vast improvement over THX Ultra2, which also supports a 7.1 speaker setup.

5. Davey_T

Kevin: How does Logic 7 work when you use it for DD/DTS movies, since it's designed only for 2-channel sources? Do you select the Dolby Surround audio track on your DVDs? I guess this is really another question I have:

If I have Logic 7, how do I use it with DD/DTS movies?

As far as cost goes, I've found the opposite to be true. I can buy a HK 325 for < $400. The DPL IIx receiver I'm looking at is the Yamaha 1400, for $800.

This is why I'm trying to figure out if I should shell out the extra cash for DPL IIx in the Yamaha, or go with last year's HK.

Thanks!
    Dave

6. Gary Sparks

Gary Sparks Auditioning

You might want to look around for a Yamaha 1400 or 2400
    that doesn't have the PLIIx and get a little better deal.
    My reason is most of the stores are just now getting
    their updated Yamaha receivers with PLIIx and Yamaha is
    now offering customers that don't have the PLIIx to send
    their receiver in to the factory and updating for free.
    I have the Yamaha 2400 and am really enjoying it.....
    sparkieg

7. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Do you *NEED* it? No

You may want it. If you get it you may end up using it all the time, occasionally, or never use it.

Personally, if I chose a processor that has it, it is a bonus, if I do not have it, I will not lose any sleep over it.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dave- The Lexicon version of Logic 7 can be applied to 2.0 and 5.1 (and 6.1) sources. H/K's version can only be applied to 2.0 sources, except for the 8000, which can also apply it to 5.1 sources, but like I mentioned, it down converts 5.1 to 2.0 first then applies Logic 7.

So, the DPL IIx you'll get in a Yamaha receiver is better IMO, than the Logic 7 you'll get in an H/K receiver.

I imagine that in a few months, cheaper and cheaper receivers will have it too.

9. Davey_T

It's sounding like my best course of action is to probably ignore the deals on the HK receivers right now, focus on completing construction, and see what new products are coming out with DPL IIx.

I could always start out using my current 5.1 receiver for a while while I wait for more DPL IIx receiver choices.

Of course, who knows, maybe when I finish construction I'll have the cash to just go out and buy a Yamaha 1400 or 2400.

Thanks,
    Dave

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you're going to do 7.1, you could actually wire another speaker in series with each surround channel to get you to 7.1 now. I did this once (with a pre/pro, and y connectors out to the extra amp channels) and it worked a lot better than I thought it would. Not Logic 7 or DPL IIx mind you, but it certainly did a better job of filling the back of the room. Just make sure the wiring is in series and not in parallel. [​IMG]