What's new

Do I need new speakers if I get a new sub? (1 Viewer)

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Okay,
I have very small speakers, the Energy Take5 satellites. I also have the ES-8 sub that "goes with them."
I'd like to get more low end extension, but not necessarily more volume (dB spl). Eventually, WAY down the road of course, I'll upgrade to bigger better speakers, but for now I really like what I've got, for the room I've got.
However SVS has me really intrigued. The 20-39 seems like an excellent value. But, I'm wondering if I were to get such a powerful subwoofer, would my system become too bass-heavy? Would I need bigger better speakers to maintain a balanced soundfield? Or, can the SVS sub be balanced properly with such small speakers? If I have to keep the volume/output level of the sub so low to balance with the small speakers, will I miss out on the low end (the point of getting a new sub)?
I'm not really talking about crossovers here, either. Although that's another consideration, too. Primarily, I'm talking about balancing SPL.
What I really want is more low end extension. I'm not a bass-head. I don't want to shake the house down (well sometimes I do...
biggrin.gif
). I want balanced sound, across a broader spectrum. (i.e. at LEAST down to 20Hz, +/- 3dB.)
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I guess the question really boils down to, does an SVS sub need to play at a minimum volume for it to be able to do what it does, and if yes, then is that minimum too high for your Take 5. Having heard neither a Take 5 nor an SVS, my well-informed opinion would be, probably not :)
Having said that, and I realize you are looking at this as a temporary solution, I wonder if adding an SVS to your speakers might be a little lop-sided. How low does your sub go? How much lower would you like it to go? How much would you need to spend on the SVS? Would that be the biggest bang-for-the-buck component purchase for that money? I don't know about HT, but for music, it's usually bass quality that is ultimately more satisfying, not quantity. In other words, you might be able to stuff the sub with polyfill to make it sound tighter and perhaps go a little lower, while spending your money on better front speakers.
Of course, there are drawbacks to that. I'm guessing that an SVS purchase would be "for keeps". If your budget doesn't allow you to upgrade your speakers to something that you'd want to keep for a relatively long time, then don't do it.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Hey there, Saurav,
Basically, I'm happy with the sound I've got from my speakers and sub. I just wish that it didn't drop off at ~30 Hz, which it does. I'd like to have extension down to 20 Hz, without necessarily making my sound "lopsided" as you put it. I feel like any subwoofer that's capable of good response down to 20 Hz or below, will be too much sub for my little speakers.
Yes, if I were to upgrade my sub for this purpose, it would be on the pretense that this new sub would last and be good enough for what ever speakers I eventually upgrade to... WAY down the road (like 2 years away probably).
For music, I'm pretty happy with what I've got. The ES-8 is a very musical sub for the money. For HT, though... I want to hear all the low bass and LFE content below 30 Hz that I'm missing. For example, in the new Star Wars DVD, during the pod race, when the explosion in the cavern happens... it's pretty weak sounding on my system, and this is supposed to be one of the heaviest bass parts of the film. I've seen the spectrum graphs of that scene, and it's obvious why it's weak on my system: it's all below 30Hz. SWTPM is just one example. I've been feeling this way about my system for a while.
Anyway, I'm not dead set on upgrading... But I'm curious as to what is possible.
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to have extension down to 20 Hz, without necessarily making my sound "lopsided" as you put it.
Actually, I was referring to a lop-sided budget allocation per speaker, not sound :) But you know what they say - bass always costs money, there's no getting around that. You might want to post your room size, and maybe some subwoofer expert can make recommendations. I've seen Tom V. suggest smaller subs from other manufacturers to some people based on their needs, which IMO is pretty cool.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Kieran,
I feel you will be fine with your sub upgrade. You are right, for music having power to at around 30Hz is good enough for most of the music out there, but for movies there is a lot missed.
Just add the SVS and play with the volume and crossover controls to match your speakers... you will be happy.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
The SVS should work for you just fine. If you have something to power it with, get the 20-39CS and the ART 351 eq or 551 eq. That will take care of any room peaks. Definately calibrate the sub and then you should be good to go. You may want to play around with placement of it too. How big is your room and are there any openings? If so, what size? Enjoy!

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
I don't know the exact dimensions of my room off hand... but... it's large volume/small area. It is a fairly long narrow layout, but has a sloped ceiling that goes up to the second floor. Also, to the right of a TV the room opens up to the kitchen. So, floor space is limited, but there's a lot of volume.
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The 20-39 would be fine. Don't forget, the greatest thing about these subs is that you don't notice them until they are called upon - then OH MY GAWD!!!
biggrin.gif
. So, I don't think you will be overpowering anything at all.
--
Holadem
[Edited last by Holadem on October 30, 2001 at 12:00 PM]
[Edited last by Holadem on October 30, 2001 at 12:01 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
As long as you have the subwoofer properly placed/calibrated...it should never over power the rest of the speakers. In fact...a larger subwoofer will likely be able to extend deeper/cleaner...which could *open up* some recordings for you in a new way.
Depending on the size of your room and the type of output levels/extension you're looking for...even something like the $499 HSU VTF-2 could be a worthwhile addition for you.
TV

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Another option would be a Velodyne SPL 1200 - onecall.com has them right now (factory refurbished b stock, full 2 year warranty) for $750. It normally goes for about $1200. It sits pretty high on TN's list of subs (based on output). I just ordered one last night, and should be here on Friday. I couldn't beat the deal I got on it. It should easily beat my Klipsch KSW 12 in output and sound quality.
Bryan

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
In case any of you are wondering about the size of my HT room, look here . It doesn't show how high the ceiling goes, but you might get the idea from the "center channel view."
Thanks for the tips about the HSU and the Velodyne. I'll check those out too.
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks