Do I need more speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jean_Hendrickx, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Jean_Hendrickx

Hi, I've a HT based in a Pioneer VSX-D810 100x6 watts amplifier using six small (10") speakers, each having a med + tweeter, labelled to handle 100 watts, also I have a subw (100 watts). The movies (5.1, DTS) sounds good, I'm satisfied with the movie sound, but I'm not with the stereo music. I tryied to change the DSP settings without results.

I've a MP3 library music servers and I do a lot of music listening.

I've seen a bigger (about 70") speakers, each with 4 elements. I'll get better sound if I add this ones to the B speakers of the Pioneer?

Thanks in advance,

2. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

Music should sound a lot better on a full range speaker (unless its crap like Cerwin Vega). However, the towers wont match (different drivers/tweeter) your other speakers, which could be a little distracting while watching movies.

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

The quality of sound is a direct coefficient of the quality of the components and the recording. If you are using five BIC floorstanders with a five channel audiosource amp, while the sound may be loud, it will not be of the same quality of five axiom milleniums with a 40 50 wpc Rotel amp. If you are looking for better music sound, then try looking at the format of the music and then the compenents and then the speakers. For instance, you say that you are playing MP3's. Unless they are encoded at 256 kbps or higher, you generally will be dissapointed in their sound quality when doing critical listening. Also, if you are sending through a $30 sound card, you will probably be dissapointed in their sound because the DAC's in the cheap sound card are not up to snuff. And at this point you can consider if your speakers are doing the source material justice.
    As for Jason_Me saying "Music should sound a lot better on a full range speaker," this is just a flat out lie. While the lower end of some music will be more audible with tower speakers, there are so many more things to consider when saying that music will "sound a lot better" than just the bottom end. If you are looking for good musical sound, then try getting the best overall sounding speakers you can afford, which will probably be a pair of bookshelves because of lower material costs than comparable sound quality floor standers, and integrate them with a good sub. This setup will trounce the floorstanders.

4. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The question remains. What speakers do you have? Brand and model. How loud do you like listening to them? What sort of music do you enjoy? How big is your room? All of these play a factor. The problem may or may not be the speakers.

6. Jean_Hendrickx

I've a Pioneer's speakers (part of package HT-710), and I likes its sound, the room is about 12" x 20". I like to ear at good volume (not too high), and the MP3s are recorded at 192kbps (and the quality is enough for me).

Regarding the new speakers I'll setup them as B speakers to not modify the movies sound (A=Dolby 5.1/DTS, B=Stereo). If I do this, I'll get better sound from my MP3/CDs?

Again, thanks for your kindly support,

Jean H//

7. chung_sotheby

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Would look around for some good used speakers, such as B&W, Def Tech, PSB, Paradigm, etc. Not sure about shipping, but another option could be some of the internet only speakers. If you are feeling adventurous, a pair of DIY bookshelves isn't out the question either. However, as the quality of the speakers improves you will to upgrade your source equipment to really make the speakers shine.

9. Jean_Hendrickx

In this moments I can't afford to spend $1000-$1200 in an additional pair of speakers, but I have seen a Sony's speakers at $400 pair, they are rated at only 80 watts, but they have 2 "big woofers (18"), 2 medium and 2 tweeters, I'll use them only for sterero sources. Will this enhance the stereo sound?

Thanks,
    Jean H//

10. chung_sotheby

Absolutely not. These big sonys probably have terrible components and drivers and the cabinet construction is most likely sub par. I would say that you should try to spend as much as possible on a main set of speakers, most likely bookshelves, as the price to perfoirmance ratio or bookshelves is higher than floorstanders, for the most part. If you budget is $700, look for used Norh, Def Tech, Paradigm, B&W, Monitor Audio, almost anything. Just remember, stereo performance has little to do with how low the music goes, and totally on how well reproduced the sound is.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What is your exact budget?

The price vs performance and floorstander vs bookshelf is a complicated issue. I prefer 2ch music without a sub, and to reach the lower end, a floorstander is often better suited. For movies, bookshelf speakers have a distinct advantage, IMO , but that does not mean they are THE answer. Bookshelf speakers that are good at music are often not inexpensive (to my tastes anyway).

The compromise I went with are large bookshelf speakers that have enough bass to give me good sound without a sub for music, but for movies they just blend in and do their job.

If you want good music, you are going to need a decent sized main that can handle at least 50Hz-60Hz on the low end, IMO, and lower would be better. I agree that low end extension is not the answer for music, but it does play a big roll. Listening to the speakers is the only way to find out what it is you really want, ultimately.

12. Jean_Hendrickx

I've seen a JBL N38II, and they looks like what I want, and the price is okey (about $400 here in Venezuela). They have the following features:

Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 175 Watts
    • Impedance: 8 Ohms
    • Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 90dB
    • Frequency Response (–3dB): 45Hz – 20kHz
    • Crossover Frequency(ies): 1000Hz, 5000Hz
    • High-Frequency Driver: 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome with EOS™ waveguide
    • Midrange Driver: 4" PolyPlas™ cone
    • Low-Frequency Driver: 8" PolyPlas™ cone
    • Dimensions
    (H x W x D): 34" x 10-1/2" x 11-7/8"
    (864mm x 267mm x 302mm)
    • Weight: 35 lb (15.9kg)
    • MSRP US$: $249.00

Remember, I just want to use them as my B speakers with my Pioneer VSX-810 AV Receiver to hear music (mainly MP3s, CDs and Radio [POP, Salsa and some Classics]) ...

Should I buy them? (Yes, I know the final choice is mine!)

Thanks again,
    Jean H//

13. chung_sotheby

Jean, first of all, you should have these as your A main speakers, as you can have these integrated as both the front stage of your HT setup and the two speakers in your stereo setup. If you only use these as music only speakers in the B output of your receiver, then you will be missing their added clarity and depth when you go to listen to HT material. If you buy a set of mains that you want to handle music, then you should also have these mains as the two front speakers in HT. You will notice an incredible improvement over your old front speakers if you install a new set of mains. Secondly, when you say $400 in Venezuela, do you mean $400 USD or $400 Venezuelan dollars? I know for a fact that for less than $300 shipped, you can get a pair of the JBL Studio Series S38II's, which are a huge step up from the JBL NOrthridge Series N38II's. If you budget is $400 US, I would look into the s38's over the n38's, as the s38's have far superior construction, drivers, extension, and power handling. They have been noted as some of the best sub-$400 speakers on the market.

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

15. Jean_Hendrickx

First, thanks all of you!! I just entered this forum for simple curiousity and I've received a worth of good info!! I've seen/heard both the S38II and N38II and still I prefers the N38II.

My borther told me to change the main speakers and set the old fronts to the "B" area, but I think I need another (bigger) center (another $200-$300!!). But I'll be doing the change one step at time.

BTW: The currency here is Bolivar (Bs), the current rate is US$1=Bs 1.360!! (yes one thousand three hundred sixty!), only two months ago was US$1=Bs 700, so now I need to check every step made.

I think I'll be buying this nice looking speakers (Yes, I _love_ the N38II looks) very soon. I found them at US$350pair, so I think this is a good deal ...

Thanks again,
    Jean H//

16. Jean_Hendrickx

Hey pals, thanks a lot!! I bought the JBL's N38II speakers and they sound AWESOME!!, my only complaint now is with my center speaker, so I'll change it to a JBL N Center II, it fits nicely in my HT table!!.

Again thanks for your kindly, accurate and complete answers.

Jean H//