Do I need HDMI?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Grant Degs, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Grant Degs

Grant Degs Agent

I just purchased a new 61" Panasonic LCD Rear Projection. I currently have my Satellite Receiver connected to my new TV via Component Video and HDMI. (I plan to eventually get a surround sound system as I save up my money.) For sheer performance sake, video and audio, is there any improvement in going with the HDMI interface?

I'm trying to decide whether I can just return my $150 HDMI cable.

Also, When HD-DVD or Blue Ray come out this fall, will the HDMI interface be needed more at this that time?

I've looked around for the answers but couldn't find them so I just thought I would ask.

Thanks

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Grant,
    Being that you have a digital fixed panel type display, it is best to get a dvd player that will upscale to the native resolution of your display. It is also important to get one that will do it via HDMI because it keeps it in the digital domain. This will also come in handy for HDTV as well.

Now as far as HD-DVD's go, there is alot of speculation but all signs point to yes you must use a DVI or HDMI connection for HD-DVD.

Now I figure someone will mention you should return the $150 cable and get one cheaper. That is for another debate unfortunately and given the way cable discussions happen here, I'm pretty sure someone soon will tell you what you should do. You could buy another "cheaper" cable from someone like our sponsor and try it out. Then return which one you don't care for. If you see the difference then keep the pricier one. Just don't let others tell you what you should do and shouldn't. The way I'm proposing gives you the power to make up your own mind instead of someone telling you what you should or shouldn't do.

Good Luck.

3. Grant Degs

Grant Degs Agent

Shane,

Thank you for the comments. If HDMI keeps it in the digital domain then I'm all for keeping the HDMI cable. Yes, I know I could have gotten it cheaper. But, this is my toy and I don't mind spending a little more on my toy especially when its spread out over 2 years.

One question, when you mentioned a DVD Player that upscales properly to my TV do you mean to make sure and get a Progressive scan DVD player or are there other niceties that I am unaware of.

Some background. I've had a home theatre set up in my great room since 1998. I have a nice Yamaha receiver with Dolby Digital and a 34" Panasonic HDTV tube. It's nice but I was constrained to 34" because of my wife's Entertainment center. Now, I am starting on the basement with my new and improved TV.

Anyway, what I mean is I am a little knowledgeable about Home Theatres but not nearly as most on this forum. I'm an Electrical Engineer and own 1200 DVDs so I am willing and able to learn more if it will drastically improve my viewing experience.

So far I've been pretty happy with the Panasonic Progressive scan 5-disk DVD players that cost only around $150 to $250 depending on when I bought them.

Features aside, is there much benefit in buying a more expensive DVD player now that I have the large 61" LCD Rear Projection TV. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you

Grant

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Grant,
    Right now is a tough time to spend mega bucks on a dvd player because of HD-DVD coming. If HD-DVD or Blu Ray was not coming, I'd have no qualms about buying a $500-$1,200 dvd player.

Ideally given the fixed panel device you have, I would find a player that has HDMI upscaling unless you don't have more than one input. If you don't then what you have is fine IMHO. I tried upscaling on my 55" CRT Mits and barely noticed a difference but then again this was on a CRT set and not an LCD or fixed panel type display. Now a counter to this would be which format/product do you want the best of:

HD or DVD. That would decide it for me on which device gets the HDMI input unless you have 2 [​IMG]
    Then again you'd be thinking about an upgrade and buying a new player and that would make it a tougher call.

I too bought a 480P Progressive scan player(Sony 5 disc) and love it. If the upscaling made much of a difference on my display, I would have went that route but I would have to give up the 5 disc capability.

5. Grant Degs

Grant Degs Agent

Shane,

Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Grant

6. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I have a question...Could I use a DVI cable that I have for my PC monitor and use it (along with an HDMI adapter) on my Sony KDF 55XS955? Is there a difference between a DVI cable for a PC and one made for TVs?

By the way, I'm one of the lucky ones that has 2 HDMI inputs. Life is good sometimes.[​IMG]

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Depends on the connector end. There is a chart someplace(I think Ram electronics) that tells you what kind of DVI plug you need and what kind you have.

8. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

From what it looks like, the PC cable I have is a DVI-D cable which is what my satellite receiver uses. I would just need a HDMI adapter for it. Would the make up of the cable be the same? Would there be a difference between the PC cable and a Monster, Ram or any other brand cable?

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

There has been some tested differences with longer runs and higher resolutions. The cables that tested out good were either Fiber Optic or the ones from Ultralink.

WM Phelps over at AVS whom is a professional with regards to calibrating 1080P displays namely the JVC models, did some testing and posted the results at AVS on a thread entitled Monster DVI? or some such on the 3500+ Projector forum.

For short lengths, I don't know what matters. I wouldn't guess that the monster and Ram cables will be much different if any.

What I do know is that I bought a cable from our sponsor Blue Jeans and I received lightning fast service. Ordered a cable on Thursday 9am and received it on Saturday at Noon via the Postal Service. I call that FAST!. This came from Seattle to Oklahoma.