Do I need HDMI cable?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BrianTO, Jun 12, 2005.

1. BrianTO

BrianTO Auditioning

Hey gang...I just bought a Samsung HL-P5685W DLP TV and am very excited. I will be adding the Panasonic SC-HT920 HTIB surround to it pretty soon. The guy at the store where I bought the TV from said I really need the HDMI cable to get the most out of the TV. He said it is normally $199 but on sale for $179.

Do I really need this? If so, does the price sound right?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

A hdmi cable is used to connect a digital video source to a TV set that has hdmi input. From the sound of it, you don't currently have any HDMI source (like a dvd player with an hdmi output for example), or at least you didn't mention one.

So, while HDMI is a good way for you to connect digital video devices to your TV, until you have a device that has HDMI to connect, it's kind of pointless.

Oh, and $179? I hope it way really really long! I bought a 15 footer for $9 a week ago. Even a silly, over priced internet boutique cabler charges only $130 for a 15 footer. A 15 foot cable from a reliable supplier like Blue Jeans is $50.

-V

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

If down the road you purchase a dvd player with a DVI/HDMI you can purchase a cable far less than 179.00 I picked one up from blue jean cables for 49.00 + shipping. Get the player first, you won't go wrong.

4. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

Plus, there is alot of debate right now whether or not the picture quality is better from dvi/hdmi versus a short to moderate run of good quality component cable. Component is capable of carrying full HD singal, the only thing about hdmi is that it will also carry audio. This is kind of pointless if you are going to be running through a receiver for sound anyway, as it is generally perferred to go video straight to the display device (not through the receiver) and audio straight to the processing device. It is maybe more convienent to use a receiver for video and audio, but the general consensus is that you want as few connections as possible from source to output.

I personnally use dvi, but I have a 30ft run to make, and didn't want to have to worry about interference. Component is analog and therefore more susceptible to noise over long runs. For short runs that are somewhat separated from power lines and crap, dvi/hdmi and component are very similar in picture quality.

People who try to tell you that you need "x" cable for "$xxx" to get the most of your TV without giving the most basic explanation why should be dragged onto the street and shot with a ball of their own flaming crap. Most people like that would be completely incapable of telling you why you need that cable, other than to give themselves a bigger commission cheque.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

actually i would say the real argument for dvi/hdmi is that it is a full digital signal versus component which is analog.

when i ran my dvi setup i noticed a subtle improvement over component. the pic was a little brigher and the jaggies a little less noticeable. i mean, i had to *look* for it ... but it was there.