What's new

Do I need DVD progressive on with Panny plasma (1 Viewer)

JeanPaul

Grip
I have the Panny TH-42PX25U/P plasma. Great TV. My DVD player isnt so hot...Sony DVP-NC875VS 5-Disc DVD Player.

It seems that even with calibration the picture has more detail with Progressive on the DVD player turned off. When it's on the black obscures all the detail. Does my Panny do the deinterlacing on its own better than the Sony? Is Sony progressive that bad???

Thanks all!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Don't generalize ... that can be a problem. Both Sony and Panasonic products can be capable of good progressive output and poor output depending on the DVD player in question.

Whether i or p is better must be determined on an individual basis ... as some DVD players actually degrade the i signal ...

Regards

JeanPaul

Grip
Good point about generalizing...my bad. Sony has been good to me over the years and my DVD player has been great.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Your not alone.. I found many displays lately, that excel with good 480i via component video and allowing their display do the progressive scan....

One of these guys, was really ticked with the sales people for talking him into an expensive DVD player, only to find out a real cheapie that did 480i on it's component output way bested it on performance. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks