What's new

Do I need an extra amp for this setup? (1 Viewer)

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a Paradigm Ref Studio 40's, Studio 20's and CC center. I'm going to be running it using an HK 525, 85 watts across 7 channels. So, my first question is, is this enough power for this setup?

If not, how do I go about adding more? Do I buy an external amp? I really don't know much about amps or how they work exactly, in releationship to a receiver (Yes, I've read a lot of FAQs/posts around here).

Thanks for any help.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Everyone I've talked to says the more power for Studios the better. That said, I would think 85W is a little low for them, especially if you like to listen at moderately loud volumes here and there. A nice 120-150WPC amp would do them more justice if you do indeed like to push them a little. If your receiver has pre-outs on it, you can connect an external amp if you bought a separate one and then you use your receiver as a pre/proc(for DD or DTS decoding and audio/video switching, etc.). Your receiver pre-outs would go to your amp via RCA-type cable and your speakers would be connected to the amp. I myself use a separate 2-channel amp for to power my Monitor 11's up front and use the receiver to power the center and rears. So I have 150WPC for my mains and 110WPC for the rest. You would probably want a 5-channel amp to power all your Studios, but those get pretty expensive. Used can save you some money, there are tons of amps on Audigon.com to buy. People there usually take good care of the stuff they sell.

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so I want more power, but it seems like it's going to cost me at least $1500. Is this about right?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
You should find a great newer used 5-channel 150wpc+ amp for $700-800 easily on Audiogon. An Ati, Adcom, Marantz, Parasound, Outlaw, etc. New, around $1200+.

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
Oiy vey. I spend $2500 on a new RPTV, $1600 on Paradigm speakers, $600 on a HK receiver and $850 on an SVS PC+.. $5550 on a HT basically, and I'm still not done. Quick, someone come out with HD-DVD next year so I can drop $500 on a new player. Please. I WANT IT!

I - want - you - to - hit - me - as - hard - as - you - can!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Nick,
Therapy may be available.
Being hit upside the head can be effective as well.

Much of this depends on the total room volume too.
Smaller room of course require less power, and less efficient speakers.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that if your room is medium sized or less, you'll be ok...

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
Also keep in mind that each manufacturer rated their amp differently.

The HK 525 is a high current amp rated very conservatively at 85W per channel. I doubt if you'll gain much by going to a 100W or 150W receiver.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"The HK 525 is a high current amp rated very conservatively at 85W per channel. I doubt if you'll gain much by going to a 100W or 150W receiver."
I'd agree. Set it up and listen to it with the 525. You may be happy it.

"Therapy may be available. Being hit upside the head can be effective as well."
After 35 years of dabbling in this area, I will tell you that there is no known cure. The only palliative therapy is to enjoy each upgrade you make for as long as you can. When you no longer enjoy it, upgrade again.

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,

I would recommend you consider a 3 channel amplifier for your front L/C/R instead of a 5 or 7 channel amplifier. This will either save you $ or you could get a higher quality 3 channel vs a lower quality 5/7 channel amp.

Save your $ and use your HK receiver to power the rear surrounds instead.

You will save $ and improve performance as your front L/C/R requires more power than the surrounds.
Of course you can always splurge and get a high quality 5/7 channel amp! :D

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Make your own :D

There's lots of talk about LM's 3886 Chip which is though by some (including me) to put out very high qualily, dynamic sound.

Each one is rated at 40W into 8Ohmz, but will do 100 in a bridged configuration. Use two bridged of these to bi-amp each speaker, and youre set!

Im actuall working on this project right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks