What's new

Do I need an external HDTV Tuner with my HDTV DirecTV Set (1 Viewer)

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I recently got the PT-47 Pannasonic 47" HDTV Monitor. I have been thinking of getting OTA HDTV and possibly DirecTV HDTV. My question is what I need to get to make this all happen. If I just decided to go with the DirecTV HDTV, do I need just the DirecTV HDTV Dish along witha HDTV DirecTV Reciever, or do I still need an external HD Tuner? Are there certain recievers for DirecTV that I wont need an external Tuner or do I need a Tuner regardless?
Also if I went with OTA also, would the DirecTV reciever do the tuning for that also? So my question id what will I need if I have a DirecTV HDTV Reciever...
Thanks in advance!
Jon

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
NO, It's an all in one package now. The Direct TV HD Receiver acts as the Receiver, and decoder.
These receivers will also accept an OTA signal, so you can run the DTV and Antenna for maximum HD programming.
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Most (if not all) HD set top boxes that support DirecTV satellite also support over the air HD. I know that the Toshiba and Sony units offer this support. Therefore, one box will serve both purposes.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, this sounds really good! Do If I get a HD DTV Reciever, a new one, like a Toshiba or something, there is no need for and external Tuner. Why do they even make DTV Tuners then....are they just for the older models that didnt have them built in? Also If I get the DirecTV reciver now and dont go to using DirectTV for a few months, can I just use the OTA HDTV tuner in it without subscribing to DTV for a while?
I was origianally gonna get the Samsung OTA reciever just for antenna viewing, but if I can just spend a few bucks more and get the DTV Reciever and have it do both, DirecTV in the future, OTA now, that would be Great, only one thing to buy then. Thanks

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Congratulations on the new TV, Jon. I just bought the Panny 47" HDTV as well, and I love it so far. I have Dish Network, and I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the Dish receiver that has OTA digital reception also. There are so many more receivers that support DirecTV, and now with Dish buying DirecTV I'm wondering what will change since the two systems are hardware incompatible. Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Why do they even make DTV Tuners then....are they just for the older models that didnt have them built in?
No. The Toshiba, Sony, etc. DirecTV boxes with HD support have both satellite and OTA HDTV tuners built-in. Your television only has a standard analog NTSC tuner built-in if it's HD-ready. There are only a few television models that have built-in digital TV tuners. Most sets are HD-ready (meaning they require an external tuner of some sort to receive HDTV broadcasts).
Samsung is the only company I am aware of that makes an OTA-only HDTV tuner. I own this box because I had no need for the DirecTV support, and the Samsung was much less expensive than any price I could find for a Toshiba or Sony box at the time.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Samsung is the only company I am aware of that makes an OTA-only HDTV tuner. I own this box because I had no need for the DirecTV support, and the Samsung was much less expensive than any price I could find for a Toshiba or Sony box at the time.
The older Panny DST-50 and DST-51 are OTA-only DTV/HDTV tuners.
I wouldn't wait to buy equipment becuase of Dish buying DirecTV. This deal hasn't been finalize and they still don't know what platform they will use. By the time all this shakes out, it will be time for an upgrade anyway and hopefully they will pay for it! :)
BTW, I also own the Panny 47" and Toshiba DST-3000. The HD picture looks awesome!

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
This deal hasn't been finalize and they still don't know what platform they will use. By the time all this shakes out, it will be time for an upgrade anyway and hopefully they will pay for it!
Good point. Plus, in a few years there will be a flood of people who need a set top box so they can still use their analog TVs. I assume the existing DTV tuners have a composite out and therefore could be used in that manner. I could buy a DTV tuner now to work with my HDTV, and then sell the box to an analog TV owner later when I want to upgrade my own equipment.

Rande

Auditioning
Recently went thru same process as you. Have 2 week old Toshiba 65HX81. Then bought Toshiba DST 3000 tuner....handles both Direct TV and over the air decoding. OTA reception is marginal for me, so bought/installed the 18" x 24" Direct TV dish to pick up the satellite that broadcasts Direct TV HD programming. If I had to do over, would go with the same package, but purchased thru the vendor on Direct TV's website.........you can get the Toshiba DST 3000 tuner, plus the elliptical dish, plus an installation kit, for the same or less than I sheeled out for the Toshiba decoder.
HDTV broadcasts on HBO 509 are awesome! Good luck.
patriot.gif

------------------

Bruce C

Auditioning
A question or two for Jon, Dave and Brian: I have cable, and am thinking of taking the HDTV plunge with the 47" Panasonic. The posts in this thread have started me thinking that maybe I should switch to an HD satellite service, with maybe an antenna for local network HD broadcasts. Getting the dish/STB package suggested by Rande is a very helpful suggestion. But first I have to ask, how is standard 480i viewing on the 47" Panasonic?
A thread on the SPOT forum suggests that regular cable could look worse on an HDTV than on an analog set, with no consensus as to why, but a feeling that line doubling a poor cable signal is the culprit. They recommended getting a set with a good line doubler/interlacer (Toshiba, Pioneer) and to watch out for Hitachi in that department, but nobody mentioned Panasonic. Have you had that problem with your non-HD dish signals? Do you think satellite would, in general, provide a better 480i signal than cable?
Toshiba's and Pioneer's web sites suggest that their interlacer has 3:2 pulldown, but I find no mention of that on the Panasonic site. Would that have any relevance to DirectTV HD signals, or do you suppose they would just bypass the interlacer?
Hope I'm not asking too many questions. Buying a TV isn't as easy as it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks