What's new

Do I need an amp on top of this??? I have a Marantz SR7000 (1 Viewer)

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
Do I need an amp on top of this??? I have a Marantz SR7000

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Paradigm reference, and I am running these speakers on a Marantz SR7000(100x5). Do you think a 5 channel amp to add on to this would be a good addition to my setup. If so, please recommend a model to me, because I am new to the amp game. I am a college student so I don't have $5000 to spend on an amp yet, so please be gentle. I am looking for something that will knock my socks off, but not put me in the poor house. I get a pretty good tax refund check, because I pay for my tuition, so around the 1,000 dollar mark give or take works out well. Am I kidding myself that for around 1,000 I can get a bitchin amp? Please be brutally honest.

Also, I am correct that with the edition of a 5 channel amp to my setup, I will be adding the power of the amp to the existing power supplied by my receiver?(100 per channel+ what ever the external amp supplies?) How do I hook this up to my receiver if this is possible?

Thanks for all of your help,

Fred

JonathanJ

Auditioning
First off, adding an additional amplifier will not give you a total wattage of the 7200 plus the additional amp. You will need to connect the amp through the preouts on the back of your receiver. Your speakers are then connected to the amplifier.
I have a HK AVR45 and it was definitely lacking power, so i added the Marantz MA-500 monoblocks, which are individual 125W amplifiers per channel. They run about 250-300 dollars a piece. These units are great because you can add a couple at a time. I bought two for my fronts and then later got another one for my center.
Check out www.marantz.com for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks