What's new

Do I need an A/V Receiver? (1 Viewer)

TMPHK

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
My home came prewired with home speakers in ceiling. The speaker wires come out of the wall near cable wall plate. My question is, can I hook up the speaker wires that go to the ceiling speakers, directly to my TV or DirecTV Cable Box or must I have a separate A/V Receiver to do that? I was able to hook up the ceiling speakers using my little shelf stereo and ran RCA cables from the AUX of my stereo to the Audio Input of my DirecTV Box and I just plugged the ceiling speaker wire into the little inputs on the back of my shelf stereo. But, I would like to know if I can eliminate the shelf stereo and connect the speakers directly to the TV and/or DirecTV box. I tried some different configurations, but couldn't get it to work, and I'm thinking that I probably will need an a/v receiver (or I could just use the shelf stereo for now as a receiver or buy a new one), but I'm trying to avoid that if possible. Thanks. Rob

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You need to amplify the low-level signal coming out of the DirectTV box and a way to control the volume so you do need an av receiver (or you can use the stereo you already have). Your tv already has these built into it which is why the tv speakers work without an additional amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks