What's new

Do I need amps? (1 Viewer)

Bo-Cephus

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Everyone,
I had a question about the need for amplifiers in a relatively small room for my HT. Though I currently have a Bose Acoustimass 16 setup (sorry about that), I am switching over to the B&W 600 line (602's or 603's in front, 600's or 601's in back, CC6 as center, and debating whether or not to keep a rear center channel). I have a Kenwood 8070 6.1 receiver, and a Kenwood Sovereign DV5900M DVD player. Though I occasionally like to crank up the sound, 90% of the time I have to keep the volume relatively low, so I'm interested in accurate sound quality at fairly low volume. I know the 600's aren't huge, but I know they require more from a receiver than the Bose System. I am open to hearing any suggestions, advice, or even "what were you thinking's" regarding the Bose situation. Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Should be OK with those speakers, though you really won't know 100% for sure until you actually try them out. To get the most out of them, I'd probably upgrade the receiver too, down the road, but you should be OK for now. Do you have a very large room to fill?

You've corrected the Bose error, so no need to kick you about that one :D

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I don't think you will need a seperate power amp. But the B&W speakers will most likely sound slightly better with a dedicated power amp.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I had a HK Sig 5 channel amp hooked up to my HK receiver in my bedroom. I thought that it was overkill for a bedroom setup, and I needed the money at the time so I sold it. While it isn't night and day by any means, I can definitely tell the difference between having it and not having it. With the amp things were, for lack of a better description, sharper and more effortless. It feels like I'm missing that tiniest degree of detail and power that the amp provided. It may sound like it's all in my head, and it might be, but I will definitely be adding an amp to my next receiver or mayve go full pre/pro.

edit
I should note that I have 4 JBL S38II's with a matching center. I am in no way disappointed with my decision, but I just feel my setup was better with the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks