What's new

Do I need a surge protector for seperate amp? (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
For about 6 months I've been trying to decide which power amp to get. I narrowed my choices down to the Parasound 2205AT and the Rotel 1095. Since the Parasound and the Rotel sounded so similar (my ears couldn't tell them apart) I'm going with the Rotel (I like the looks).
All of my other equipment is connected through a surge protector and I'm going to run a seperate 20 amp curcuit for the amp. Which will mean another surge protector for the amp. Will a surge protector degrade the sound of the amp or do most amps have surge protection built in?
Thanks
Legairre
------------------
"What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Radden Home Theater

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
How much do you value the power amp?
Simple answer: Surge protection == good.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

David S

Stunt Coordinator
Legairre - Recently been down same path (listened to both Amps, both sounded great in my system, ended up with the Parasound, $150 less than Rotel, and height of Rotel left me little room on top for air flow). Anyway, both sounded "choked" or a little limited thru Monster HTS 1000 surge/conditioner. Instead, look into a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. Its around $339 street, is a 2 outlet device, offers "surge protection" supposably without "choke/limiting factors", comes in a 20 AMP high current model. I plan on plugging the Parasound into one recepticle, the Monster HTS 1000 into the second, and the Ultimate Outlet to wall. Been told this is a solid route, yet to hear it though.
2nd option, by the oulet from PS Audio direct for $399, with a 30 day money back offer. A $60 trial/error and may be worth it.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Unless you have something like a Shunyata Hydra or the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet 20 or the flagship Tice, plug the amp directly into the wall. A surge suppressor will choke the amp, rendering its high-power and high-current capabilities useless. If possible, I'd invest in an aftermarket powercord for the amp as well, as it can really improve the sound dramatically (of course many on this board will disagree).
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
[Edited last by Justin Doring on November 16, 2001 at 02:12 PM]

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the replies. I also emailed Rotel the exact same question. They HIGHLY recommended that I get a surge that doesn't limit the power. It looks like I'll be getting a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet.
Thanks
Legairre
------------------
"What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Radden Home Theater

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Yea, I've been reading some good things about the Ultimate Outlet from the perspective of not degrading the current draw, etc of the amp. I would suggest you get your amp and anything else new associated with your audio broken in before trying the outlet so you'll be best able to tell if there are any sonic compromises. I will likely go in this direction as well.
Hmmm, an upgraded power cord is interesting as well. Why do hobbies tend to cost so much?
Doug
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks