What's new

Do i need a sub? (1 Viewer)

Joe Maiurro

Stunt Coordinator
I have just puchased a pair or Cerwin Vega CERW V12F Front speakers. I was told that I wouldn't really need a sub with these speakers.. True?

Thanks

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Do you need a sub? no. But even if you were buying the biggest baddest most expensive main speakers that you could find the system would sound better if it included a sub.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
they have the .1 in the 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 setup for a reason.
"wouldn't really need a sub"
the .1 is your sub.

yes, a good sub will play much lower than you CV's.
Only if you are only listening to music or you dont have 5.1 or up, you dont need the sub.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You should have a sub still. You may be happy without one, but you should still have a sub.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
even though vegas are pretty bass-heavy speakers, they simply cannot get as low as a powered sub can.

if you really want to feel the lfe's, you're gonna have to get a sub. you don't need to buy one right away, but definitely consider one down the road.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you don't have a decent receiver to go with those speakers, then you will NEED a sub. Large drivers draw a lot of current to reproduce bass, which means an average receiver will struggle on bass heavy music and definitely with movies, which in turn will likely result in clipping (distortion) and possible speaker damage.

A sub, with it's own power, and the receiver crossed over to limit bass sent to the mains, will help out with power demands on the receiver and will almost certainly give you better bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks