Do I need a seperate amp for my outdoor speakers ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KenLeBlanc, Feb 13, 2005.

1. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

Hi I recently purchased some Energy Tempest speakers for my patio/backyard. I'm wondering if I should get a seperate amp to run them and if so what should I be looking for ? I have no idea what to look for...

Here's my current set-up:
    Yamaha RXV-650
    2 Athena AS-F1's
    1 Athena AS-C1
    2 Athena AS-R1's
    Athena Sub8 (soon to be replaced by JBL E250P)

I purchased the Energy Tempests just before winter set in here and only had them hooked for a few weeks. I had them connected to the Speaker B terminals. When I had speakers A+B on, I had to have the volume cranked up high inside for the outdoor speakers to get decent volume. I haven't tried hooking them up to the Zone 2 instead of the speaker B so I'm not sure if that would make a difference ? I'm actually confused because I'm sure I read that the Canadian model of this receiver RXV-650 could not do A+B but mine seems to ? Is there a way to tell if my receiver is Canadian or American model ? I bought it from a Canadian retailer. Is there anybody with a similar receiver that can help me out with this ? The speakers are in for the winter so I can't try out the Zone B yet. I also have a volume control installed for the outdoor speakers and I had it at full volume.

I'm guessing to get a good sound from them that I should get an external amp. Could anybody recommend a good cheap amp that could run the Energy Tempests ?

P.S. Sorry for the long read and I'm a relative newbie with this home theatre stuff, so sorry if this doesn't make sense.

2. KenLeBlanc

I did some searching through the forum for Zone 2 and found some answers. It's still unclear to me how much power is directed to Zone 2 from the amp. I have an e-mail in to Yamaha support. I'll let you know what they come back with.

I still would be curious to see how many people are running a second set of speakers with just the Zone 2 power from their Yamaha Receiver/Amp ? How do you guys find the power/volume ?

I guess my final answer will come when I hook them up and find out for myself if the power is satisfying enough or if I want more. It needs to warm up a bit before I venture out to the backyard.

If I wanted to purchase an external amp, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap amp ?

3. KenLeBlanc

I haven't heard back from Yamaha's support. I find that odd because last time I e-mailed them I heard back next day.

Anybody have any comments on how well the Zone2 powers their second set of speakers ? I'm just curious.

Also would like some recommendations for cheap external amp to power 2 speakers in case I decide on that route.

4. KenLeBlanc

Well I finally heard back from Yamaha and in case anyone cares, here is their response:

Spring is here (hopefully to stay) and I have hooked my Energy Tempests up outside to the Zone 2. I must say I am impressed with the power and sound. Not too difficult to hook up although annoying that I had to hook up L & R analog cables. Oh well, small price to pay I guess.

Absolutely no need for an external amp here. (but thanks for all the suggestions [​IMG] )