What's new

Do I need a seperate amp for my outdoor speakers ? (1 Viewer)

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
Hi I recently purchased some Energy Tempest speakers for my patio/backyard. I'm wondering if I should get a seperate amp to run them and if so what should I be looking for ? I have no idea what to look for...

Here's my current set-up:
Yamaha RXV-650
2 Athena AS-F1's
1 Athena AS-C1
2 Athena AS-R1's
Athena Sub8 (soon to be replaced by JBL E250P)

I purchased the Energy Tempests just before winter set in here and only had them hooked for a few weeks. I had them connected to the Speaker B terminals. When I had speakers A+B on, I had to have the volume cranked up high inside for the outdoor speakers to get decent volume. I haven't tried hooking them up to the Zone 2 instead of the speaker B so I'm not sure if that would make a difference ? I'm actually confused because I'm sure I read that the Canadian model of this receiver RXV-650 could not do A+B but mine seems to ? Is there a way to tell if my receiver is Canadian or American model ? I bought it from a Canadian retailer. Is there anybody with a similar receiver that can help me out with this ? The speakers are in for the winter so I can't try out the Zone B yet. I also have a volume control installed for the outdoor speakers and I had it at full volume.

I'm guessing to get a good sound from them that I should get an external amp. Could anybody recommend a good cheap amp that could run the Energy Tempests ?

P.S. Sorry for the long read and I'm a relative newbie with this home theatre stuff, so sorry if this doesn't make sense.

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I did some searching through the forum for Zone 2 and found some answers. It's still unclear to me how much power is directed to Zone 2 from the amp. I have an e-mail in to Yamaha support. I'll let you know what they come back with.

I still would be curious to see how many people are running a second set of speakers with just the Zone 2 power from their Yamaha Receiver/Amp ? How do you guys find the power/volume ?

I guess my final answer will come when I hook them up and find out for myself if the power is satisfying enough or if I want more. It needs to warm up a bit before I venture out to the backyard.

If I wanted to purchase an external amp, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap amp ?

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard back from Yamaha's support. I find that odd because last time I e-mailed them I heard back next day.

Anybody have any comments on how well the Zone2 powers their second set of speakers ? I'm just curious.

Also would like some recommendations for cheap external amp to power 2 speakers in case I decide on that route.

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
Well I finally heard back from Yamaha and in case anyone cares, here is their response:

Spring is here (hopefully to stay) and I have hooked my Energy Tempests up outside to the Zone 2. I must say I am impressed with the power and sound. Not too difficult to hook up although annoying that I had to hook up L & R analog cables. Oh well, small price to pay I guess.

Absolutely no need for an external amp here. (but thanks for all the suggestions :rolleyes:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks