What's new

Do I Need a Progressive Scan DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

My Toshiba 57HX81 arrived Monday. How much better is a progressive scan DVD player over my Pioneer DV414? And can I find one for around $200?

Thanks,

Bob

JasonRuben

Auditioning
u will get a better picture with a progressive dvd,than a non-progressive and letting your set do it for u...my suggestion is the panasonic rp-56,,180.00 range right now....IF you can wait till late july,then go with the new version of it,the rp-62,,a little better audio at the same price...

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
I still have not found an answer as to the improvement w/ progressive w/ a NON-hdtv.
I have this TV: Panasonic CT-32SF36
It is a good TV.
I was looking @ hooking up a Sony DVP-NS500V to it.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Like you, I have a Toshiba HDTV-ready RPTV. To answer your second question first, there are many good progressive-scan DVD players available for $200 or less: Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC, Philips, Zenith and others all fit this description.
As to whether you need it,I used an interlaced player with my Toshiba, which left the scan conversion to the television.The IDSC Pro did a pretty good job on its own. I then bought a progressive scan DVD player. I saw a difference but not a big one. The picture seemed a bit more detailed and there were fewer artifacts, not that there were all that many with the television alone. Oh yeah, the black level had to come down 13 steps.
Since I only paid $150 for the player, the relatively small difference seemed to be worth it. Your mileage may vary.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Non progressive TV = no improvement with progressive DVD player.

You will not be able to feed the TV anything except interlaced.

Regards

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
aaaahhhh thank you very much! That's what i thought, but wasn't sure if the dvd player did the interlacing "better".

I guess this sorta silly question is simply assumed around here :b

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Your 57HX81 will surely accept a progressive signal. However, that TV will upconvert all 480i/480p to 540p and lose most of the benefits with using progressive player. Most TVs will see a nice improvement with progressive DVD over interlaced.. our Toshibas are the exception. :frowning: Their 540p upconversion was not done well and as such resolution is lost

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks