Do I need a progressive scan DVD player with my TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad_D, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Chad_D

Chad_D Auditioning

I've been pondering the purchase of Sony's KV-32HS500 Wega HDTV-ready set and have heard conflicting reports about progressive scan.

Do I need to buy a progressive scan DVD player in order to view movies @ 480p on the above set? One salesmen at the local electronics shop said yes, but my research has yielded a different response. Sony provides a feature called "3-2 CineMotion" that apparently does the same thing. Am I off-track here?

Also, in the Sony's manual it lists three modes and their appropriate uses:

Interlaced - moving pictures
    Progressive - still pictures
    3-2 Cinemotion - moving pictures

Why is progressive listed for "still pictures"?

Thanks in advance for any help, and if this exceeds the qualification as "basic", I'll move it to another forum.

-Chad

Edit - added link to info on TV.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Like just about every HD-ready set, the Sony has its own line-doubling circuitry. It will take a 480i input and display it as 480p. Although I'm not familiar with this particular set, my guess is that the line doubling circuitry is very good; it is on most newer sets.

A progressive scan player will generate the 480p output without any additional stages of analog/digital conversion. It will provide a superior image, but the difference may be so slight as to be largely unnoticeable.

I certainly wouldn't buy a new player until after you've tried the set with your existing machine. OTOH, if you have other reasons to acquire a new player and you're getting a set that can handle p/s, you might as well get it. At today's prices, it's a no-brainer.

M.

P.S. My compliments on going the extra distance to add the link to the TV specs. If more people did that, it would make it a lot easier to respond to questions.

3. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

HI

"Progressive - still pictures"

I would guess that this refers to pictures on a memory stick - ie. from a digital camera.

How the pictures are enhanced by using progressive technology, I don't know

Take it easy

4. Chad_D

Chad_D Auditioning

Thanks for the reply! I figured that the TV would be sufficient for now. Got a question though: Is there really any difference between, say, a $230 progressive scan Sony DVD player and once that costs $500+ made by someone else? Is the progressive scan 'algorithm' (chip, or whatever) better?

Also, any idea why the TV manual would list 'Progressive Mode' for 'still pictures'?[edit]Nevermind - posted before reading previous post [​IMG][/edit]

Thanks again,
    Chad

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul