What's new

Do I need a progressive scan DVD player with my TV? (1 Viewer)

Chad_D

Auditioning
I've been pondering the purchase of Sony's KV-32HS500 Wega HDTV-ready set and have heard conflicting reports about progressive scan.

Do I need to buy a progressive scan DVD player in order to view movies @ 480p on the above set? One salesmen at the local electronics shop said yes, but my research has yielded a different response. Sony provides a feature called "3-2 CineMotion" that apparently does the same thing. Am I off-track here?

Also, in the Sony's manual it lists three modes and their appropriate uses:

Interlaced - moving pictures
Progressive - still pictures
3-2 Cinemotion - moving pictures

Why is progressive listed for "still pictures"?

Thanks in advance for any help, and if this exceeds the qualification as "basic", I'll move it to another forum.

-Chad

Edit - added link to info on TV.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Like just about every HD-ready set, the Sony has its own line-doubling circuitry. It will take a 480i input and display it as 480p. Although I'm not familiar with this particular set, my guess is that the line doubling circuitry is very good; it is on most newer sets.

A progressive scan player will generate the 480p output without any additional stages of analog/digital conversion. It will provide a superior image, but the difference may be so slight as to be largely unnoticeable.

I certainly wouldn't buy a new player until after you've tried the set with your existing machine. OTOH, if you have other reasons to acquire a new player and you're getting a set that can handle p/s, you might as well get it. At today's prices, it's a no-brainer.

M.

P.S. My compliments on going the extra distance to add the link to the TV specs. If more people did that, it would make it a lot easier to respond to questions.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
HI

"Progressive - still pictures"

I would guess that this refers to pictures on a memory stick - ie. from a digital camera.

How the pictures are enhanced by using progressive technology, I don't know

Take it easy

Chad_D

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply! I figured that the TV would be sufficient for now. Got a question though: Is there really any difference between, say, a $230 progressive scan Sony DVD player and once that costs $500+ made by someone else? Is the progressive scan 'algorithm' (chip, or whatever) better?

Also, any idea why the TV manual would list 'Progressive Mode' for 'still pictures'?[edit]Nevermind - posted before reading previous post ;)[/edit]

Thanks again,
Chad

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Is there really any difference between, say, a $230 progressive scan Sony DVD player and once that costs $500+ made by someone else? Is the progressive scan 'algorithm' (chip, or whatever) better?
Yes, there are different chips for deinterlacing, and yes, some are better than others. However, there's no guarantee that the more expensive player will have the better chip. There are lots of reasons why one player is more expensive than another: build quality, processor power, additional circuitry for such things as DVD-A, etc. etc. If you really want to get into the nitty-gritty of different progressive players, check out links like this one:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfer1280