What's new

Do I need a progessive scan DVD player on a tv that does 3:2 pulldown? (1 Viewer)

Boka

Stunt Coordinator
I am purchasing a new Hitachi TV (43FWX20B) that does 3:2 film correction. Would I gain anything from pairing this with a progressive scan DVD player (such as the Panasonic rp-82) or should I keep my existing DVD player?

I've been hearing that the Hitachi does a fine job of 3:2 correction.

Do I need a progessive scan DVD player on a tv that does 3:2 pulldown

Boka...although your mileage may vary, here's my experience:
I have a 51" widescreen RP Sony HDTV with 3:2 pulldown and used to have an old, very inexpensive, interlaced Toshiba 1600 DVD player. The picture looked awesome. Friends couldn't believe that it was an interlaced player. I just bought the Toshiba 3800 (progressive) and there is absolutely no difference. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. I may return it, although I really like the ability to play MP3s on something other than my laptop so maybe not. :)
Personally, I'd wait until you got your TV and try hooking up your old player. You may be pleasantly surprised. It depends how decent the pulldown is in the TV.
cheers,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks