Do I need a prog.scan dvd player with a Sony kp46wt500,

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard baveux, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Richard baveux

Richard baveux Auditioning

I need a DVD player to go with my new rptv.I never had one before.

This tv set do 3.2 pull down, this set is also equipped with the DRC which give me the choice to adjust for interlaced, progressive or cine motion.
    This set is also HDTV compatible and can received 1080i, 720p,480p,480i

Do I really need to buy a player that can do the progressive scan ?

I dont mind to buy what I REALLY need, but if the TV set have the tool to do all the work , why buying that technology again ? maybe a cheaper DVD player will do ?? Please note that I am not a PQ freak ! I have no intention to analyse the quality of the picture when watching some XXX movie !!!

How reliable the DVD players are ? Do I need an extended warranty ?

Thanks for your input

Richard

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Richard,

The Sony set has good line doubling built in, so if you already own a good non-progressive dvd player, you don't have to rush out and get a progressive scan model right away.

If you do not already own any dvd player, by all means get a progressive scan model from a major maker like Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Sony. Good entry level models from these makers can be had for under $200 US. The only non-progressive players that will be significantly cheaper than these will usually be offbrand junk anyway.

While the Sony does a good job with interlaced dvd inputs, feeding it a 480p signal will be just enough better to more than justify a player that costs $50 more.

3. Richard baveux

Richard baveux Auditioning

Thanks Steve [​IMG]

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Although the display's internal doubling will yield good results, you may notice anomolies (shimmer) with your 480i DVD player on material with lots of adjacent lines or on the subtitles if you look closely. The bigger the display, the easier to notice the differences.