What's new

Do I need a power conditioner? (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Hello,

I just purchased A LOT of equipment for my new home theater.

Namely:

Pioneer Elite 530HDI
Denon AVR-3803
Denon 2900 DVD Player
Paradigm Studio 60s v.3
Paradigm CC-470
HD Cable Box
PRISMIQ Media Center

I am currently using a very old and simple 6 outlet surge protector. Heck, it's so old I don't even thing it has surge protection on it. I'm guessing it's about 15 years old at this point.

Would I benefit from a power conditioner or high end surge protector? These things can cost a lot of money and I always see them installed in the stores I buy my equipment from. I live in a brand new house, so I guess you could say my current power is clean. I don't hear any AC hums, or pops when appliances turn on etc...

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

PS - I wasn't sure where to put this thread. If this is the wrong one, my apologies.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations on your recent purchases. It is always a good idea to have a surger protector, espacially for us here in the midwest who have to deal with the potential for thunder storms and lightning. Of course, a surge protector only will work if if is plugged into a grounded outlet.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would recommend one. You will not see or hear a dramatic difference in performance if the power in your house is "clean" already, but it is still worthwhile IMO.

Link Removed

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe not higher end but I was considering the Panamax Max 8 line of surge protectors. I went with the Monster HTS850 instead because I found it for almost the same price ($60) and for the cool little blue LED :b. Before I bought the HTS 850, I was using a cheap $20 Monster surge protector.

For the components you listed, I would definitely consider a better one. I picked up the HTS850 mainly for the higher joule rating because my receiver got fried once with the cheaper surge protector I had. FWIW I am convinced of Monsters Clean Power Stage because I did notice a slight audible improvement over the cheapo surge that didnt have it.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
If you house is new/newer, then your outlets are all probably grounded. Surge protectors have a limited life so I'd throw out your old bar and purchase something more in line with the rest of your equipment. I've got the same receiver and DVD player and plug them into a Panamax 5100...nice unit and under $300 bucks retail. You might also want to consider having an electrician install a whole house surge supressor such as an Inter-matic that protects all the circuits in the panel. The surpressor and cost for having one installed in my home was under $150 and I figured it was cheap insurance compared to the price of all new HT gear. As a bonus, the Inter-matic protects all the other stuff like microwave, dishwasher, refridgerator, etc. that have electronic controls. Is it all really necessary? Only if you need it :)

Mort

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
With a good powerline conditioner you CAN hear the difference-and it makes me feel better knowing my equipment is protected.

rogo

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
There was an article in the January issue of Home Theater Mag. You can get something like the audioprism Quietline for $28 at audioprism.com
The filter eliminates the noise and shunts it to the ground. Apparently fridges and PC's create noise as well and it's recommended to put the same filter on those outlets as well.

anthony_s

Agent
I had a relatively cheap Belkin on my home theater. I lighting storm fried my sub woofer even though it was attached to the surge suppressor. However, all I had to do was send the surge suppressor to Belkin and they paid for a new sub woofer and sent me a new surge suppressor.
So I would recommend it just for that. Just make sure it comes with some such protection.
I live north of Chicago by the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks