What's new

Do I need a phone line for a Directv dvr?? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have a Directv installer putting in a dvr at my house. He is telling me that I need to have a phone line put. Tried to sell me a wireless phone jack (for $75). I have to run a phone line across the floor.

Is a phone line really necessary??? I don't plan on ordering pay per view.

Thanks!!!

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
I ran a phone line across the house for first install, then pulled it out.

It is NOT needed for regular operation, might be needed for first-time setup.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It depends on the DVR. If you are getting an R15, then a phone line isn't needed at all. If you are getting an R10 or HR10-250, then you need a line connected so it can make its first call to Tivo. After that, unplug it. You will lose the ability to order PPV via the remote but that's it. My older DVR hasn't been connected to a phone in 1023 days. My HR10-250 hasn't been connected to a phone in over 180 days.

-Robert

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Robert's right. One other thing, my Hr10-250 hasn't been connected in 100 days and I am still able to order PPV with the remote. Not sure if that is only for the HD tivo, as I have seen it reported in many places that you can't order PPV via the remote without a phone line connected.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will until you reach a certain $$ limit. $40 or $50 total. Then it stops. You will have to plug it in and let it call D* and upload your purchase information. Then all of those PPV's will hit you on your next bill.

-Robert

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Ah. OK. They recently gave me a $200 credit because they couldn't find my rebate documents on my last 2 tivo box purchases. So I haven't been looking at my bill. I also typically don't order ppv, but they sent a coupon for 3 free ones. I have to call in to get the ppv credit applied. I'll straighten it out then. Thanks for the info.

Directv ought to hire you or the guys from tivo community to teach their CSRs how their stuff works. :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A few guys have started hanging out at the forum on the DirecTV site. The only problem is that it's heavily moderated (aka censored). Complete threads about anything questionable have disappeared. I picked up most of what I know from DBS Forums back in the late 90's when I had a $750 Sony receiver and a single LNB dish. And the only "free" installs were the ones you did yourself.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks