Do I need a passport to travel to the States?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Hansen, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen Stunt Coordinator

I'm going on a 5 day course to San Francisco in a couple of weeks and don't have time to get a passport. I know it's recommended but not necessary to have a passport when traveling from Canada to the US. I will carry picture ID and my birth certificate, but what can I expect without a passport? Has anyone recently gone through US customs without a passport recently?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have gone to Canada numerous times and have never used a passport. As long as you have a photo ID, you should be good to go. I crossed the border once without even so much as a birth certificate.

It might be a little harder entering the US if you aren't a resident, but I doubt you would need a passport.

3. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

No you do not need a passport to travel from Canada to the U.S. or Mexico. However do take your driver's licence and it wouldn't hurt to have your birth certificate as well.

4. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Just be matter-of-fact when going through customs. No smiles, no frowns, just "Wolf Blitzer" all the way.

-JNS

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

You will need a photo id and your birth certificate to enter from Canada, but you do not need a passport. Before the 9/11 incident, you rarely needed to show either. Since that incident, though, U.S. Customs has been much more strict and thorough in checking citizenship.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Last year when I went I biked into Canada (Quebec) and out, I was never asked for my passport either way. I don't think I was even asked to remove my sunglasses I had on. Just the usual questions: Business or pleasure?, How long? Buy anything?

However, it might just be because I was on a bike, we don't seem that threatening [​IMG]

Jay

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've never been asked for stuff while driving, but you do need to have a birth certificate to prove you're a citizen. A driver's licence will not do that (found that out the last time I flew in). Probably the same technically when driving, but it's really not a big deal.