What's new

Do I Need a New Router or Modem? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
@John Dirk helped me pick out the right router for my setup, maybe he can chime in here too?

I like the way you're thinking, Josh!

I stopped in briefly to a Staples store this afternoon. Nearly all their routers were NetGear brand.

full

full

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I believe he steered me towards something from Netgear and it’s worked wonderfully since.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Happy to help, @Josh Steinberg - I'm sure you're getting your moneys worth out of that router these days given our current sequestered world.

Indeed. Any problems I’m having now is from the ISP limiting bandwidth and interference from more people using WiFi simultaneously in the building. The router itself has been rock solid!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To make this work you'll need to connect the laptop directly to an available LAN port on the router, not the modem. Be sure not to use the WAN port. You can also probably just go to the web site of your provider and check their available service tiers. The one closet to your measured speed with a direct wired connection to your router is likely what you're paying for.

I thought he was doing that just to do troubleshoot the speed test and check without the router in the mix. I always have a hard time to get my laptop and modem to connect with the internet when I've done that too -- hooking it up directly and rebooting everything usually worked or at least rebooting the computer after doing the direct to model connect.

If he's getting 25 download direct then something is wrong with the modem or his incoming line. With 10 up, almost certainly not the incoming line. If he got 60/100/200 directly then that cements the router as the problem to be fixed (I think the most likely as well).

My last Netgear router from 2012 or 2013 finally started breaking down recently. I'd lost 2 of the 4 LAN ports. replaced it with a newish model Netgear R7000. A bit better Wifi connection strength, but general speed is limited by the 60/5 Internet -- not a big deal since no kids and minimal streaming in general. When my kids were still in college and would come home for vacation/summer it made more sense to be at the 100/200/300 level.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have an update.

I toughed it out tonight and had my chat with Spectrum Customer Service.

I was on "hold" from 8pm to 9:30pm. :rolleyes:

Here are my takeaways from my chat with "Cheryl:"

She answered the mystery of my internet service. I am paying for 10ombps download/10mbps upload speeds (as David Norman suspected!).

Also, earlier today, I did the direct test connecting my laptop via cable to my router. OOKLA told me I was getting 29mbps DL and 11 UL.

So, hearing that, Cheryl put me through the usual drills. She sent refresh signals to my modem and had me power down both the modem and router, etc. Nothing changed as OOKLA told me my wifi speeds were 20/11.

So she told me to go plug my cable directly into my laptop and modem. I "corrected" her by saying, "you mean plugging it into the router." She said no, the modem. I told her I tried that earlier today and got nothing.

When she diagnosed that I was using a Cat 5 cable for that, she concluded THAT'S the problem. She was adament that a Cat 6 cable (or Cat 5e) was necessary to take advantage of the full service. She also informed me that Spectrum no longer charges a monthly fee for modems. So I will be making a trip to a local Spectrum store tomorrow to get a new modem and proper cables.

She later said that once that's done I will be able to determine if the router also needs updating (which I will probably end up doing anyway):

(Cheryl) The cable is the problem.

The modem is only able to reach up to 100 Mbps, so I would still replace it, since there's no monthly charge.

(Mike) 100mbps is what my service is, though, right?

(Cheryl) Yes, but we actually send a bit more to offset any congestion or slow downs, which you can not take advantage of with that modem. Like I said, since there's no monthly charge, I would go ahead and get a more updated modem.

(Mike) Interesting. I was beginning to think my router might have been the problem as it is rather old.

(Cheryl) Since your cord is not compatible, we have no way of checking the router. I can tell you, for a fact, that the cord is an issue. Even with a brand new router, you would be having these issues. That is not to say that there might not be an issue with the router as well, but until we can bypass the router and see that you have better service with the modem only, we can not verify that for sure. But we know that you don't have better service right now, since we can't get a signal at all with just the modem.

So...that's my update.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
She answered the mystery of my internet service. I am paying for 10ombps download/10mbps upload speeds (as David Norman suspected!).

Do you mean 100Mbps? EDIT: I just reread what you wrote. 100Mbps down/10Mbps Up.
When she diagnosed that I was using a Cat 5 cable for that, she concluded THAT'S the problem. She was adament that a Cat 6 cable (or Cat 5e) was necessary to take advantage of the full service. She also informed me that Spectrum no longer charges a monthly fee for modems. So I will be making a trip to a local Spectrum store tomorrow to get a new modem and proper cables.

She's wrong. Unless you're approaching Gig speeds it shouldn't matter but CAT-5E or CAT-6 are better choices for future proofing.

That's awesome that you can get a free modem upgrade but the cynic in me says to double check the fine print to make sure you're not being hit with a hidden fee. Most ISP's rent their equipment as it is an easy additional source of revenue.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have an update.

I toughed it out tonight and had my chat with Spectrum Customer Service.

I was on "hold" from 8pm to 9:30pm. :rolleyes:

Here are my takeaways from my chat with "Cheryl:"

She answered the mystery of my internet service. I am paying for 10ombps download/10mbps upload speeds (as David Norman suspected!). .............

So...that's my update.

I'm going to bet -- not the cable. Unless the cable is damaged or your running it a distance it should easily be able do a lot better than 30

I have a 6141 modem and it ran close to 200 for a while so I don't the modem is the answer either.
I do think Spectrum gives you a free modem which is fine, but I don't think that's your problem.

I still would like figure out an easy way to get your laptop to create a direct modem to laptop internet connection to eliminate all the other stuff. Not sure how to do that long distance though.

Just looked at your Router Roundup and that Nighthawk AC1900 in the dead center is the item I opted for. I looked at the X6/X6s 6 ANTENNA model and just couldn't figure any reason I'd need that. Bought it from BestBuy for $150 a couple months ago -- so far it's been solid.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
She insisted if I had a Cat 6 cable, I would be able to connect my laptop directly to the modem and test the direct internet connection.

That's awesome that you can get a free modem upgrade but the cynic in me says to double check the fine print to make sure you're not being hit with a hidden fee. Most ISP's rent their equipment as it is an easy additional source of revenue.

I remember hearing that when Spectrum took over for Time-Warner in our area. But I wasn't thinking at the time that I might want to check my internet speeds. She told me no charge for just a modem but that if I also got my router from them they would charge $5/month.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
She insisted if I had a Cat 6 cable, I would be able to connect my laptop directly to the modem and test the direct internet connection.

I had an old 2004 Compaw Laptop my wife used for years that lost it Ethernet port and Just assumed it had burned out or lightning had gotten it since nothing I tried could make it work again. Wireless was still OK so never thought much about it.

I finally just nuked the old computer once I upgrade her to a new computer in 2013, wiped the old and reinstalled Win 7 from scratch for giggles and noticed the internet port was functioning again so some software upgrade messed it up afterall. Even that thing with a direct connection with Cat 5 would run 100 down without much problem.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In case I wasn't clear, David, I could direct-connect my laptop to my router with that Cat 5 cable. My DL speed zoomed up to a 29. :D

But that same cable did NOT work to connect my laptop directly to the modem.

So I don't think it's anything wrong with my laptop, but I'm the last one to say so.

I think I'll try the new cable tomorrow with the current modem to see if it DOES make a difference (before I attach the new modem. Unless they "flip the switch" on the new modem while I am still at the store.).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In case I wasn't clear, David, I could direct-connect my laptop to my router with that Cat 5 cable. My DL speed zoomed up to a 29. :D

But that same cable did NOT work to connect my laptop directly to the modem.

So I don't think it's anything wrong with my laptop, but I'm the last one to say so.

I think I'll try the new cable tomorrow with the current modem to see if it DOES make a difference (before I attach the new modem. Unless they "flip the switch" on the new modem while I am still at the store.).

Sorry I actually knew that, but just got going with my rambling story and forgot the point I was trying to make. Rewrite summary -- basically my dinosaur computer with Cat 5 going directly to the 6141 modem (or the router) could run 100 Speed without an issue so I think the chance the Cat 5 cable is the answer is tiny.

Cat 6 cable is an easy fix, but I'll be shocked if that's the answer. I'm just not sure why your laptop isn't connecting to your internet with a direct modem connection. That's got to be do-able, but I can't work the steps out.

Just thinking out loud
Power Modem off, Unplug power for 1 minute.
Power Computer Off (not sleep or standby).
Connect Modem via Ethernet Cable to Laptop.
Power on modem and let it fully connect.
Power Up Laptop
That seems like the Laptop should automatically connect to the Internet when it boots up

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Cat 6 cable is an easy fix, but I'll be shocked if that's the answer. I'm just not sure why your laptop isn't connecting to your internet with a direct modem connection.

Right. Cuz all the set-up information would be the same right? Just as when I hooked up directly to the router instead of hooking up to the router via wifi.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe my modem is bad.

Again a possible, but usually that doesn't just slow things down as much as kills the connection completely or constantly disconnects for no reason

You are a PC/Windows and not Apple guy right -- so many Apple people here it should be higher on the list of questions

A bad connection on the other side of the modem (a bad outside connection, bad connector, chewed up underground cable or premodem cable) with lower speed and connection quality I've had a couple of times, but with a 10 upstream speed (better than mine working perfectly) and no other issues, that doesn't really fit.

192.168.100.1 should be Motorola 6141 Modem Diagnostic
Check signal strength, S/N ratio, error rates, etc
Again with waht sounds like a consistent connection and excellent upload that doesn't really fit.

Last thought and this might apply if you are noticeable more sluggish that 2 months ago or noticeable sluggish middle of afternoon/evening -- I think all cable is still Shared Network bandwidth so all the traffic on one branch is limited so if you are near the end o the line or in a super high use area (tons of teenager/streamer types), you could be getting sucked dry by your neighbors high use unintentionally. If you run a test at 5am when most normal people and almost all teenagers are asleep, is you speed the same or drastically better?

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm just not sure why your laptop isn't connecting to your internet with a direct modem connection. That's got to be do-able, but I can't work the steps out.

Agreed. I originally suggested connecting to the router as opposed to the modem because that's the path the data will ultimately take and therefore a better test of the speeds Mike can realistically expect. A direct modem connection should work fine for diagnostic purposes as long as the laptop isn't configured with a static IP address.

She told me no charge for just a modem but that if I also got my router from them they would charge $5/month.

Definitely don't suggest getting the router from them. There are much better choices out there at decent prices, as you've already seen.

Last thought and this might apply if you are noticeable more sluggish that 2 months ago or noticeable sluggish middle of afternoon/evening -- I think all cable is still Shared Network bandwidth so all the traffic on one branch is limited so if you are near the end o the line or in a super high use area (tons of teenager/streamer types), you could be getting sucked dry by your neighbors high use unintentionally. If you run a test at 5am when most normal people and almost all teenagers are asleep, is you speed the same or drastically better?

Yep. Shared bandwidth but, as a customer, this should not be his concern. It's Spectrum's job to rule out their network, not his. Mike. My suggestion at this point would be to go ahead and get a CAT-6 cable connected between your modem and router to placate the tech you last spoke with. When this makes no discernible difference [it won't unless your current cable is damaged] you will [unfortunately] have to contact Spectrum again. The tech you speak with this time will likely tell you exactly what @David Norman and I are saying, "it's not the cable." At that point they need to dispatch someone and verify the speed they are delivering to your home. This can be done without them actually needing to come inside so it is a safe option. While they're at it, why not have them drop off the new free modem too.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yep. Shared bandwidth but, as a customer, this should not be his concern. It's Spectrum's job to rule out their network, not his. Mike.

Agreed in the end, but since this is such an unusual event with 'everybody' playing or working from home simultaneously it would be an easy way to let Spectrum know there is an issue (even temp) in the neighborhood . Also it would rule out any equipment malfunction or antiquated inside the house and prevent buying something new that may not make a difference

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll bet the router from Spectrum won't pass the WAF test.

Won't be getting the router from Spectrum. Just the modem. Most modems are vertical.

But a side question having to do with the WAF of the two units.

Is it okay to put the router inside a cabinet with closed doors (glass doors)? Or does that interfere with their work? They're not line-of-sight, are they? I was thinking about moving them into my wooden cabinet with my HT gear.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Won't be getting the router from Spectrum. Just the modem. Most modems are vertical.

But a side question having to do with the WAF of the two units.

Is it okay to put the router inside a cabinet with closed doors (glass doors)? Or does that interfere with their work? They're not line-of-sight, are they? I was thinking about moving them into my wooden cabinet with my HT gear.

Depending on your house layout, distance you need to cover, solidness of your entertainment cabinet -- it certainly could interfere with the WIFI signal esp at the higher frequency band. It might be a trial/error situation. IF your Entertainment Center has a blind spot on top or a slightly recessed top like one of my old units it could be a better solution -- not good for accessibility, but still open and possibly out of site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks