What's new

Do I need a new receiver for playing UHD discs? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone,

I've been using Blu-ray for a long time and I'm now planning to upgrade to 4K/UHD by buying a new 4K TV and a new 4K disc player. However I intend to continue using my current 5.1 audio set-up (i.e. I'm not planning to upgrade to Dolby ATMOS, etc.)

I'm currently using a Denon receiver with standard HDMI 2.0 leads from my disc players to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV.

I just want to check that, since I'm keeping my current audio set-up, I will not need to upgrade the receiver or change the HDMI leads as part of this upgrade. Can you confirm this? Any info or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can you give us the names of the manufacturer and model numbers as I'm not sure your receiver can pass the 4K signal to your display.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the very quick reply!

My receiver is the Denon AVR-X4100W. (I'm in the UK, so this is a UK product.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the very quick reply!

My receiver is the Denon AVR-X4100W. (I'm in the UK, so this is a UK product.)
You should be fine with that receiver as you pass the 4K signal from your 4K player to your receiver and then to your 4K display.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
You should be fine with that receiver as you pass the 4K signal from your 4K player to your receiver and then to your 4K display.

Thanks very much Robert. Just one more question - will my current HDMI leads be OK for passing the 4K signal? I've been using these leads for several years for Blu-ray discs. I've seen references to "high-speed 4K" HDMI leads in another thread here. Would these be better or doesn't it make any difference?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks very much Robert. Just one more question - will my current HDMI leads be OK for passing the 4K signal? I've been using these leads for several years for Blu-ray discs. I've seen references to "high-speed 4K" HDMI leads in another thread here. Would these be better or doesn't it make any difference?
You need to upgrade your cables to high speed 4K ones. Those old cables won't fly with these 4K signals.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Amazon.uk sells Monoprice Certified High Speed HDMI cables for a reasonable price. They are a great value as a replacement for your current HDMI cables. Make sure you buy the ones labeled "certified high speed". I am using these cables for all the 4K connections in my main home theater and they work great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon.uk sells Monoprice Certified High Speed HDMI cables for a reasonable price. They are a great value as a replacement for your current HDMI cables. Make sure you buy the ones labeled "certified high speed". I am using these cables for all the 4K connections in my main home theater and they work great.
This!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Should be good for 4K HDR10 signal pass through. I doubt it will support pass through of Dolby Vision. Not that that really matters as HDR10 is standard on 4K discs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Should be good for 4K HDR10 signal pass through. I doubt it will support pass through of Dolby Vision. Not that that really matters as HDR10 is standard on 4K discs.
Furthermore, it doesn't matter if his display doesn't support Dolby Vision.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's definitely the way to go. Even though I don't have 4K playback yet, I recently went ahead and replaced all the hdmi cables in two sustems with Monoprice 18Gbps models, since my hdmi cables are all a hodgepodge dating back to the early days of hdmi. The cost was very little, though I did spend more for a powered model to go between my preamp and TV, which needs a 15' cable. It might not have been necessary, but it was still pretty cheap and I just didn't want to deal with doubt.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Agree 100% on the Monoprice certified cables. All of my 4k connections are made with these cables. They are cheap and they work well.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Thanks very much guys for all the good advice on the HDMI cables. I'll definitely buy those Monoprice cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks