Do I Need A New DVD Player To Go With My New CRT RPTV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Marvin Richardson, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

I'm going to be purchasing a new CRT RPTV soon (either the Mitsubishi WS-55615 or the Sony KP-57WS520) and currently have a single-disc two year old Sony Progressive Scan DVD Player. Would I get any benefit from an upscaling DVD player? If not, what would a good Progressive Scan multi-disc player? I'd like something that would play DVD-Audio and have the Faroudja chip in it (which is supposed to be the best for progressive scan, right?). Any suggestions? I'd thought maybe this looked like a good player:
    Panasonic DVD-F87K
    Any other suggestions? Would the DVD-S97S be worth the money (I know it isn't multi-disc)?
    Thanks!

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I'm in the same boat again with you. [​IMG]

I'm still trying to find out whether my Sony KP-57WS520 would even benefit from an upscaling DVD player, or whether a good 480P player would be better.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

imo, upconverting dvd players do make a diff. i had the samsung 931 connected to my mits 65313 and i saw a difference. it was subtle, but there.

make sure you read this thread as well.

bottom line. buy one and see for yourself. if you see a difference, then the answer is obvious. [​IMG]

4. Marvin Richardson

What are you stalking me?[​IMG]
    I went to Circuit City today and I think I'm going to say F it...they have it for $1799.99 with 24 months no interest...which I'll pay off in a month.
    I would get the DVD-S97S, but its $400 and one disc...the DVD-F97B is 5 discs and like $120.
    I really just want the Faroudja decoder or whatever its called...I think my Sony kinda stinks for progressive scan play.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The F87 Panny doesn't have Fauroudja, only the S97S has it.

I had a Panny CP-72 5 disc changer with Faroudja that died, and I also have one of the newer model non-Faroudja Panasonics--it is so bad that I had to move it to the bedroom and connect it to my old 25" Sony.

I would definitely recommend against any of the current Panasonics without the Faroudja chip, Sony, JVC, just about anything will have better basic pq.

I don't know of any upconverting changers right now, so your best bet if you think Faroudja is a must-have (I don't hold this opinion) is probably the S97S.

6. Marvin Richardson

Crapola. I went to Circuit City tonight and bought the Sony KP-57WS520 CRT RPTV and I got the DVD-F97S...is this a bad player? Its no big deal as I haven't even opened the box yet, but if the concensus is that its a bad player I can take it back and hold off on a DVD player for a bit. I really want a five disc changer that does a great job of progressive scan...the Faroudja chip (which I don't consider a must, I just thought it was one of the better ones). I don't want to spend more than $400 if I can help it. I balked at the DVD-S97S because of the price and its only single disc. Any recommendations?

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Steve,

Do you think the upscaling Zenith model would be of benefit for our TV's? Or, would a regular good progressive scan player just be best?

I too would like to hear recommendations. Also, I know the "chroma bug" is an issue to look out for on some players.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've got one of the Zenith players, built before they eliminated 1080i via component which is what that player excels at. It's DVI output is not as good as some other upconverting players, has some pixel shift. If you can find a Zenith that still does 1080i over component it will match very well with Sony crt based sets.

DVD is an ntsc based technology and uses the NTSC color standard. HD is ATSC based and uses a slightly different color standard. These are known as color matrixes. Sony and most all other HD capable sets shift back and forth between these matrixes depending on the incoming scanrate.
    If they see an HD scanrate they use the ATSC color matrix and if they see anything else the use the ntsc color matrix. The Zenith and a few other upconverting players still output the ntsc color matrix when outputting 1080i, resulting in green push which for some obscure scientific reason actually shows up as undersaturation of greens. You can go into the service menu on Sonys and change the color matrix for incoming 1080i to eliminate this problem. I did it and it looks fine on both true HD and the upconverted stuff, but it was somewhat of a hassle and I don't know if the method for my 3 year old set will work on the newer ones like yours. The Zenith also requires a significantly different brightness setting on the set than any other source or it will look washed out. I store one set of video adjustments in the set exclusively for the Zenith.

I also have a new Sony DVP-NS875V 5 disc changer connected via component and it looks very nice also. It's got a lot of cool features, doesn't require any workarounds in the tv service menu, and can pillarbox 4/3 stuff (puts black bars on the sides so you can leave the tv on "Full" and not have those distracting gray bars on the sides. It only costs about $150. I don't know if it has the chroma bug or not. I've looked for it but either am blissfully ignorant of what to look for or it doesn't have it.

So if you're willing to do a bit of tweaking for a small but noticeable increase in pq, and can find one that does 1080i over component, the Zenith is a good deal at it's price. If you don't want the hassle a good progressive scan player feeding 480p over component is damn near as good. Panasonic's non-Faroudja players are not very good imho, for reasons not associated with de-interlacing.

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Steve,

What do you think of the Sony 975 player? It can be had for under $300.00.

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Don't know much about the 975 except that it has the same problem as the Zenith with regard to outputting the ntsc color matrix over HDMI when set to an HD scanrate. There may be other upconverting players that don't do this, or you could just get an 875 and run it 480p over component, can be had for $150ish and is quite good overall.

11. Marvin Richardson

Well, I'm glad I took the Panny back (I wasn't impressed with the pq...my 2 year old Sony 700 was better) and am going to get the 875. I really want a changer and it seems like a good compromise. Were price no object I'd get one of the more expensive players like the Denon 3910, but I think for now I'll just go with the Sony.
    Steve, can you comment on the interface and bells and whistles of the 875? Just curiosity, as that won't change my decision.

12. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

I'm seeing posts saying that you purchased a F97S, but it's already been said there is no such thing. Either you have the F87S or the S97S so which is it?

The top legendary Panasonics with Faroudja(FLI2200) are still obtainable but they are hard to find. You can find them on Ebay but you're going to have to spend the money if you really want it.

The units I recommend the Panasonic XP30/50, RP82 and the Denon 1600 which were rated about the same score on the shootout. If you need a coax digital output, RP82 will be the one to choose because the others only have optical out.

13. Marvin Richardson

Well, it was a typo, obviously. I said in my first post in this thread I was looking at the Panasonic DVD-F87K, and that's what I ended up buying and taking back. I was looking at the DVD-S97S and the Sony DVP-NS975V but haven't made up my mind yet.

14. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Marvin

The F87 and all the all-on-one models which Panasonic uses are inferior. It's best if you look at the Faroudja based Panasonics which I said in my above post.

Since you also expressed interest in the S97S and the Sony NS975V, you should also look at the AVS forums too since there are plenty of responses. Both units have been reviewed on the shootouts as well but they are ranked lower but have a look anyways here.

15. Marvin Richardson

Well, I'm not buying a DVD player used, as there is no where to return it to if something is wrong, so those results don't mean much to me.

16. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

I've seen some people selling them still factory sealed so if you do some research you'll find them. Used player is also a wise move since people are fighting for those units.

I can tell you that I have 4 RP82, 2 used and 2 new. The used ones I found for $30 each, that is was a very good deal.

The results on the shootout does give you an indication which players are considered to be the best. So if you want to have pleasure on your TV, you definately want to have good equipment which you already noticed as you refunded the F87.

17. BillyH

BillyH Stunt Coordinator

I feel that anything short of 8 or 9 inch tubes(RPTV or front) will look best with a good 480P. I have seen a Dennon scaled to 720P via DVI onto both a CRT and a Runco Plasma(Very sweet by the way) vs. an Ayres(SP?) putting out 480P via analog conponent and I have to tell you boys and girls, no contest. The 480P rocked! Mind you that was a mucho buck DVD player, but the Dennon was well into four figures itself. Then again a lot of the mags say a lowly VInc at 720P is king at 300 bucks. But, did they use an analog or digital display? Maybe LCD/DLP/SXRD(I wish!) is a different story.