Do I need a new dish for Direct TV HD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donnie Seals, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

My friend has a RCA Direct TV HD receiver he said he'd sell me for a nice price, but do I need a new dish in order to receive Direct TV HD? I have a RCA Direct TV dish already and I'd hate to have to buy and install a new one.

Plus, will the Direct TV card that I have in my current reciever work in the HD one? Will I have to get it reprogrammed?

Any help?

donnie

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

You'll definitely need to upgrade your round dish to the oval dish in order to receive HD programming. I recently inquired about this and DirecTV wasn't very helpful. It seems that when I'm ready to upgrade to HDTV I'll have to buy the dish and hire a private installer or do it myself.

Contact DirecTV about the card. I think your existing card will work in the HD receiver but if not they'll send you a new one for a small charge. You can probably negotiate (read: threaten to cancel your subscription) a new card for free, if a new card is indeed necessary.

Vin

3. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

To get everything that is offered in HD you'll need the oval dish with 3 LNB's. If you have a spare round dish you can get some HD with 2 dishes depending on what you are subscribed to and what you want.

4. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

I noticed that people I know here in Minnesota suffer from more rain fade on the HD side with the oval dishes. I have 2 round ones and I guess the logic is that there is more surface area with 2 round than 1 oval. I have no scientific proof just an observation. The 2 rounds work great for me and if you have 1 it is cheaper, $50 versus $150.
    Matt[​IMG]

5. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

I have read on the forum of people getting the oval dish directly from D-TV quite cheap (some said free). Don't remember the details but hopefully someone will chime in.

6. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I enjoyed a completely different experience when I contacted DirecTV for an upgrade to HD programming. (At the time I was running two very old receivers, a Sony and an RCA) They offered me their new oval dish, 18 x 24, with three LNB's and two multi-sat receivers for $49.00 installed. Total price came to $68.00. In addition to the programming I was subscribing to, I had to commit to one year of local programming for $5.99 a month.

Since there is very little programming in HD it seemed like a good deal at this time. I didn't end up with an HD receiver but I did obtain the necessary dish installed. When HD programming becomes more widespread I only need to obtain an HD receiver.

The installer was great and all four recievers are up and running. The signal strength is higher than before and recordings from Turner Classic to DVD-R, Panasonic E30, are of excellent quality. I finally have Once Upon A Time In The West on DVD.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

8. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor