do I need a new amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by john seitz, Apr 25, 2004.

1. john seitz

john seitz Stunt Coordinator

Just bought a set of FS-A2 speakers for my fronts with matched center -- keeping my old Mirage AVR-100's in the rear (going no sub for now - no room and no money)

Started useing them with a JVC unit rated at 100x5 (has built-in dvd player - kind of neat space savings beast) but have an old Yamaha HTR-5250 that I havn't used in over a year maybe 2... Bought the JVC due to space issues...

Will the Yamaha sound better (rated at 110x5) with those big front speakers - with the JVC they can play pretty loud in HT mode :) But now space is less of an issue and just came back from Best Buy with a Samsung DVI DVD player, so I thought maybe I'd dig out the old Yamaha - or if its best get a new one????

my current short list:
    * H/K AVR130 (its less power then both units I already have - but isn't H/K under rated)

* Onkyo TXSR601

* H/K AVR230

Some info on my jvc and yamaha

Yamaha:
    yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/HTR-5250kai.pdf

JVC: no www
    //books.jvcservice.com/download/550033111/27507.pdf

At Surround operation: Front channels: 100 W per channel, min. RMS, driven into 8 ? at 1 kHz, with no more than 0.8% total harmonic distortion. Center channel: 100 W, min. RMS, driven into 8 ? at 1 kHz, with no more than 0.8% total harmonic distortion. Rear channels: 100 W per channel, min. RMS, driven into 8 ? at 1 kHz, with no more than 0.8% total harmonic distortion.

Thank you in advance
    any help will help :)

2. Eric_Bender

Eric_Bender Agent

If your receiver has a separate audio out for the fronts, yopu might be better off getting a separate amp to drive the front channel and use the receiver to drive the surrounds. You will get a better sound this way and a dedicated amp will have way more power than most receivers can pump out. Try getting a used Adcom, H/K, or Outlaw amp. These would match up real well with your new speakers.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

My 225 has problems with my F1s (and the rest of my setup) at loud volumes, so you'll probably need to find something a little more powerful if you like your movies/music loud.

All comes down to how much $$$ you're willing to spend.