Do I need a monitor to setup Universal player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim L, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I was looking into the pioneer DVD563a but remember somewhere that you needed a monitor to set it up- I want to use this player or the new denon 2220 but I have no monitor in my setup- I just want to listen to music- can this be done? I don't have the room for any monitor so this could be a big bummer considering I have everything else set to go- thanks
    TimL

2. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

You do need the monitor for setup but once that's done you won't need it. Can you bring in a T.V. temporarily to do the setup? All you would need is a small set with RCA inputs to get the job done.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Don't know about the 563A, but for the 47Ai, changing SACD 2chmch as well as DVD-A groups also require the menu system. However, these can be programmed into macros with the right remote, although one must program many additional steps to ensure consistent startup position in each menu. As such, thorough testing of the macros is necessary prior to removing the display from the setup, and one still must be sure not to invoke the macro at the wrong time (e.g., can't do certain things while music is playing).

Doug

4. RichButler

RichButler Auditioning

I think Doug is right, and it does apply to the 563 as well. I have a 563, and switching layers on hybrid SACDs (haven't tried DVD-A) pretty much requires a monitor.

I imagine you could get a macro sequence to work, but it would take careful programming, as Doug mentions.

This is actually a bit frustrating for me, as it seems silly to turn on the TV just to switch layers. I'll have to play with the macros some more.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You can switch layers for hybrids with the 2200 from the front panel as a toggle (2ch, multi, CD layer), which remains as the default selection. For DVD-A, you may have problems selecting between 2ch and multi channel, as it's default appears to be selectable only in the OSD (but also only needs to be done once, or once in a while). You will also need the OSD to manage speaker settings for each format.

6. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

thanks for the replies- well it kind of sucks that I need a monitor just to enjoy music- I guess this is one of the reasons alot fo people revert or stay with 2-channel-thanks again-any other help much appreciated
    Tim

7. TrevorS

TrevorS Stunt Coordinator

Hi, Tim

Some people buy little portable TV's with similar to 5" screens and leave them on or near the player so they can easily perform any menu controlled functions. One person pointed out a CRT based B&W unit at Best Buy for $30.

Luck -- Trevor [​IMG]

8. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I suppose I could do that- I'll have to check into some cheap models, thanks again.
    Tim